Shown the light

Matt Harbur

I was not surprised by Robert Zeis’ scathing attack on Ebonics, but did not expect the same from Theresa Wilson, creator of the alternative “Drummer” newspaper. I believe that both confuse the practicality of Ebonics with its validity as a dialect.

I strongly emphasize the importance of proper grammar in the agronomy course I teach. One must be able to think and communicate effectively in standard English if he or she is to succeed in this country, even in science. I see a fair amount of bad grammar and it bugs me to no end. Ask any one of my students: I am a pain in the ass when in comes to grammar.

Standard English is the language that my students should know. It is the language they were introduced to while growing here in Iowa, and it is the predominant language in this country.

But its practicality does not give it validity over Ebonics, any more than it would over Spanish, French, German or Chinese. English is not more “correct” than these other languages, as Mr. Zeis would have you believe.

Ebonics is the way others communicate. I understand that it is spoken by certain communities and has become standardized over time. If one person speaks differently, it is an anomaly.

If many speak a similarly, different language, then it deserves to be recognized. Ebonics is not merely “bad English”, as Wilson determines, nor is it trying to be a “rightful part of the English language,” as Zeis argues.

Ebonics is simply different. It is not a failure to understand English, but the dialect that generations have grown up speaking. Every time we dismiss and insult Ebonics as a ban or stupid English, we alienate those communities even more.

The teaching of only Ebonics in schools is a different issue. Ebonics should be recognized, but standard English should also be introduced, and for one reason: it is the language of business. Students should learn standard English so that they can interact with those of us who do not speak their language.

African Americans must be able to speak “white” English if they are to share in our entitlements. But that does not make their language wrong or less intelligent, and we are the “elitist, pompous, pretentious” ones every time we crap on it this way.

“Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right.”

— The Grateful Dead

Matt Harbur

Graduate Student

Agronomy