New beverage surges onto campus

Ben Jones

There is a new drink sensation surging into the world of Mountain Dew and Sprite.

The bright neon-green beverage is designed to “feed the rush,” hence the name Surge, and is the newest addition to the Coca-Cola family.

Surge features a “bold citrus taste” that is reminiscent of a mixture of Mountain Dew and Sprite.

The soft drink differs, however, in that it has a lower carbonation level than Mountain Dew, which allows for a higher degree of “chuggability.”

The new beverage is also the first soft drink featuring the wide mouth can, which also aids in slamming the drink.

Kelly Murray, marketing services specialist of the Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Mid-America, said “Surge has a high level of energy-yielding carbohydrates which are found in maltodextrin and high fructose corn syrup.”

It also has 25 milligrams of sodium (half the amount found in Sprite and Mountain Dew), 120 calories per serving and caffeine levels slightly higher than other citrus sodas.

“The public likes the drink because it tastes good, makes you feel good and has high levels of caffeine,” Murray said.

“It was introduced as Urge in Europe last year and is already the second favorite brand behind Coke. By the end of the fiscal year, Surge will be available on 70% of the globe.”

Surge’s target audience is active youth, ages 12 to 21, and hard-working, high-energy consumers, ages 21 to 35.

Its presence in America will be heralded by heavy media support, including two commercials during the Super Bowl, radio advertisements, television spots, a home page on the Internet and outdoor point-of-sale advertising.

“We are aggressively promoting this product,” Murray said. “This includes running extensive international advertisements.

“I can’t give out a specific monetary figure regarding the promotion, but you can imagine how much it cost to run the two commercials during the Super Bowl.”

The high-powered drink “should be available in local grocery and convenience stores by the end of next week,” Murray said.

“It will take a little longer to reach restaurants because the syrup is in development.”

Surge is available in 12-ounce wide-mouthed cans, 20-ounce proprietary bottles, and one- and two- liter bottles.

Carol Peterson, manager of the Friley Dining Center, said that Surge will be the subject of a free product sampling event during the week of Feb. 10.

Students will be able to go through the sack lunch line and take a free can and it won’t count towards their 10-point limit.

“Depending on whether student feedback on Surge is good, we will make a decision on whether to add it to our selection of canned pops,” Peterson said.

“However, since Pepsi currently holds the contract for our canned drinks, this decision will have to be discussed.”

Students who like Surge do not need to be discouraged. “There is a very good possibility that it will be added to the fountain drinks because Coca-Cola holds the contract for them,” Peterson said.

Anyone looking for an alternative to Mountain Dew and Sprite can pick up a sample now at any of the campus vending machines.

Most local grocery stores are also having specials on Surge six packs, running them anywhere between 88 and 99 cents, plus deposit.

In the words of the new Surge slogan, “If you are a young adult and you like to enjoy living life to the fullest with your friends… Surge is for you!”