Exchange program still valuable

After 40 years, Iowa State’s furniture exchange for international students is in jeopardy of ending.

The exchange, established to assist international students in finding furniture, has dwindled to only a few interested students as other avenues of exchange are opened.

The World Wide Web and the Internet are fast becoming the alternative to the open markets for students.

However, the idea behind the furniture exchange is not a bad one, and students and organizations should realize the benefits of such a program.

The Student Furniture Exchange involves many groups including the YMCA of Ames-ISU, the ISU Department of Residence Halls and the Office of International Students and Scholars.

Each group has been committed to helping international students furnish their houses and apartments, but today’s student doesn’t seem to rely on the service as much. Perhaps the program would benefit by providing a furniture exchange to all students and incorporating more sponsors to keep it alive.

A $25,000 annual price tag is a hefty one, but the needs of students shouldn’t be left by the wayside for monetary reasons.

Businesses could get involved and donate old office furniture such as tables and chairs for students. Off campus housing groups could team up with graduating seniors to acquire old furniture that would otherwise be tossed.

Other businesses could sponsor coupons to donors as incentives to donate.

The point is, just because times change doesn’t mean a good idea should be eliminated.

The Student Furniture Exchange program should be allowed to adapt to a changing society while others realize its positive impact on the student community.