Reaction to latest survey on Catt, race issues mixed

Amanda Fier

A recent comprehensive student survey that indicated, among other things, that students don’t want the name of Catt Hall changed is getting mixed reviews from students, faculty and administrators.

The survey, which appeared in Wednesday’s Daily, was conducted by two journalism classes in mid-November.

A sample of 496 random students were asked questions about Catt Hall, Jack Trice and racial tension on campus. Of those surveyed, 19 percent favored changing the name of Catt Hall, 34 percent had no opinion and the remaining 47 percent were against a new name.

Iowa State President Martin Jischke, who has said repeatedly that he will not pursue a new name, said he was not particularly surprised by the results of the survey.

“When I read the article, it seemed to be consistent to what I was hearing from others,” Jischke said.

Tom Thielen, vice president for student affairs, called the survey “a snapshot of what the community feels.”

On the grass roots lever, Nathan Luedtke, a junior in business, wasn’t surprised, either. “Talking to people, it seems like that’s their attitude.”

Jane Cox, a professor of music who supports Catt, said she “did not have any idea what a survey would reveal about student opinions,” but she was interested to see the results.

The survey, which has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.4 percent, also showed that students overwhelmingly favor renaming Cyclone Stadium in honor of Jack Trice, ISU’s first black athlete and the only athlete killed as a result of injuries sustained during competition.

Luedtke said most of the people he knows are for changing the name of the football stadium.

Pollsters also determined that a majority of students don’t consider racial tension a major problem on campus. That surprised some.

“Given some of the severe racial issues on campus this semester, I was surprised students didn’t cite it as a more serious problem,” Daily Editor Chris Miller said.

Carrie Hoskins, a chemical engineering transfer student this fall, said she was surprised there were not more people who favored renaming Catt Hall.

“I thought students would be more supportive to the needs of the [September 29th] Movement, and I thought it would have a greater effect on them,” Hoskins said.

Members of the September 29th Movement have been campaigning to get the hall’s name changed, calling Catt’s actions during the women’s suffrage movement “politically racist.”

Milton McGriff, September 29th Movement spokesman, said he remains hopeful after reading the survey.

He said the Movement had estimated that one-third of the student population was undecided.

He said Movement members want to target this group and provide them with information about the issue.

McGriff said if the numbers are extended throughout the entire population, it shows a substantial number of students want to rename Catt Hall.

“How many people have to be offended by that name before it is enough?” he asked.