Jischke will flip holiday tree switch tonight at ceremony

Jennifer Young

An Iowa State tradition will continue tonight as members of the university light up the holiday season.

The 1996 Holiday Tree Lighting Ceremony will be be held at 5:15 p.m. on the steps of Beardshear Hall. ISU President Martin Jischke will have the honor of pulling the switch to light the tree.

Cookies and hot chocolate will be served to the public before the ceremony begins. The ceremony should last about 30 minutes.

This year marks the 50th year of the tree lighting ceremony, which began in 1946. The event did not occur in 1973 due to an energy crisis.

The tree is located in front of Beardshear Hall across from Morrill Road. A tree located farther to the east was previously the ceremonial, but several years ago a storm caused the top of the tree to fall.

Gene Richardson, manager of electricity for Campus Services, has been adorning the tree with lights for the past 36 years.

Glenda McIntire, assistant to the director of university relations, said there will be several events at the ceremony.

There will be horse-drawn wagon rides available to people who would like a ride around campus. McIntire said the wagon will stop at the Memorial Union and also at Farm House Museum.

Ames’ Greg Johnson built the wagon for last year’s ceremony.

Johnson’s two Belgian horses will pull the wagon, which can seat eight to 10 people at a time. Last year about 80 people took advantage of the opportunity to ride in the wagon. Johnson hopes for more riders this year.

Johnson said he enjoys the chance to show students the horses.

“I hope they enjoy it as much as we do,” he said.

The Student Alumni Association will help fill about 500 luminaries between Beardshear Hall and the Farmhouse Museum. McIntire said this is similar to the first formal lighting ceremony in 1946 when the people carried candles.

Farm House Museum is specially decorated for the holidays and will be open from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. tonight.

Tin-Shi Tam, ISU carillonneur, will perform a concert on the Campanile bell before and after the lighting ceremony. The public is invited to join her in the Campanile to sing carols.

Iowa State’s Oratorio Chorus will open the ceremony with a performance. The chorus is composed of more than 100 students. It made its debut at the lighting ceremony in 1965 and has performed ever since.