Bowl game climaxes ’71 goals

Daily Staff Writer

The following is part of series of historical articles which appeared in Iowa State University’s student newspaper. This story ran in the Tuesday, Nov. 30, 1971 issue of the Iowa State Daily. Although the Cyclone football team lost to the LSU Tigers 33-15, the appearance was the first of several bowls in which the Iowa State Cyclones would appear during the 1970s.

Sports Quiz: The nation’s third oldest football game is also the oldest in the state of Texas Name it.

The answer is easy … the Cotton Bowl. Right? Wrong!

It’s the Sun Bowl in El Paso, and Dec. 18 will see the 37th annual renewal become a reality. Iowa State University makes its first bowl appearance that day, facing tough LSU.

The Sun Bowl, established in 1935, publicizes itself as the “fun bowl …” and patrons do not have to look far to find creditable references. Witness — Bob Devaney, Nebraska: “Nebraska was received and hosted in the most gracious manner …” Bud Carson, Georgia Tech: “The hospitality at the Sun Bowl is unmatched by anyone …” Vince Dooley, Georgia: “Since our appearance we have been goodwill ambassadors for the Sun Bowl …” Bill MacPhail, CBS sports: “CBS Television regards the Sun Bowl as the bowl of the future …”

How has the Sun Bowl managed to land the Nebraska, the Georgia Techs, the Texas Techs, the Georgias, the Auburns, the Mississippis, the Texas Christians, the Oregons, the SMUs, the Florida States, The Tulsas, the Iowa States and many other “name” schools year after year?

“It didn’t happen by accident,” emphasized Harrison Kohl, the executive director of the event. “The city of El Paso knows it has something of national value in the Sun Bowl, and the residents want to share their part of the Southwest with the rest of the nation. So we go out of our way to do the little extras that maybe are overlooked by our bigger brothers. When teams leave El Paso we want the members, staff and their fans to feel they have just had one of the most gratifying experiences of their lives.”

It’s a credit to Kohl and members of the sponsoring Sun Carnival Associated that the Sun Bowl has made such rapid strides since the first game in 1935. That contest, between two high school teams, met with such success that the next year saw New Mexico State and Hardin-Simmons square-off. It’s been an ascending scale ever since and the upcoming ISU-LSU bowl game will be witnessed over national television (CBS) by approximately 30-million persons.

The Sun Bowl stadium seats 35,000 with no seats in the end zones or behind pillars — all seats angle toward mid-field. Through the open end of the stadium to the south may be seen from the Rio Grande River and a portion of Juarez, Mexico.

The Sun Bowl’s recipe for fun is to combine college football with art and music, add in tennis, basketball, golf and polo and stir in a Queen’s coronation with the excitement of a three-hour parade.

It should be noted that the grand marshal of this year’s parade will be El Paso’s No. 1 citizen and goodwill ambassador — Lee Trevino, winner of the U.S., British and Canadian Open golf tournaments. The mid-winter Sun Carnival attracts upwards to 300,000 visitors each year from throughout the nation.

The combined population of El Paso and its international sister, Juarez, is over 800,000. Both are historic cities with roots buried deep in a Spanish past and reflected today in the ancient missions that still stand and serve worshipers.

The border prides itself in its entertainment. There all the usual sports to be enjoyed — golf, tennis swimming. Restaurants and nightclubs featuring major acts flourish in showrooms on both sides of the border.

Eating? Visitors may sample enchiladas, chili rellenos and guacamole. Or they may go with the standard fare of the Southwest — Texas beef.

For those who like to travel, and not far, within easy driving distance of El Paso are the awe-inspiring Carlsbad Caverns National Park and White Sands National Monument.