Stricter rules in store for storage space

Greg Moberly

More regulations of the storage space in the residence halls during the academic year and the summer may be on the horizon.

Randy Alexander, director of residence halls, said he is planning on meeting with students and administrators of the Richardson Court Association shortly after winter break to discuss the storage issue and other topics.

Alexander is contemplating whether stricter rules for determining which students can use residence hall storage space, when they are gone in the summer, is needed.

He said there have been problems with items put in storage by students who do not to return to the residence halls in the fall. “How many times do you have to tell them to come and get their stuff out of storage?” he asked.

Lowe House of Friley Hall may have found one solution.

Amy Brandt, a junior in dairy science and resident of Lowe House, said people on her floor who live farther away often get priority to store their belongings before the students who live closer to Ames.

Mark Solomon, a junior in industrial technology from Elwood House in Helser House, agrees.

“People that travel hundreds of miles to go to school should be given more leeway,” Solomon said. “They should just be forewarned that they are storing at their own risk.”

Joan Spahn, hall director of Maple Hall, said she cannot remember any time in her years as hall director when finding storage space has been a problem. “Sometimes when the closet is pretty full you just need to be more careful in fitting things in.”

According to the Residence Halls Guidebook, storage areas must follow state fire laws which exclude televisions, empty boxes, chemicals, bicycles, tires or flammable and combustible liquids.