The five best sporting events of 1996

Brandonbelisle

Well, it’s the end of the semester and my last column of the year. Instead of all the goodbyes and sad reflections on times past and memories lost, I have decided to take a look back at five of the greatest things that have happened in the world of sports during the Fall Semester of 1996.

Number five. After the Atlanta Braves, the supposed team of the 90s, had taken a two-game lead in the World Series and the whole world was ready for a repeat champion. The New York Yankees won four straight games to climb back into the hearts of baseball fans and reclaim the title of America’s team.

Number four. In Mike Tyson’s fourth fight after being released from prison, he is out-boxed, out- classed and almost out cold after 11 rounds with Evander Holyfield.

Holyfield had been considered insane to take such a risk by fighting Tyson in a fight that was not expected to last more than four or five rounds.

Holyfield citing God as the strength behind his victory goes down in history for winning the champion’s belt three times.

Number three. The Dallas Cowboys were off to a terrible start due to a lack of key players. Even with those players back they continue to struggle. The head coach’s job is in jeopardy, and many high profile Cowboys were disciplined by the law and are shown for the criminals they really are.

Number two. Nebraska falls not once during the season, but twice. The second loss was a great one coming to the Texas Longhorns and its prophet, leader and quarterback James (I feel good, but I knew that I would) Brown. Finally we will have a new champion.

Number one. Troy Davis, despite hundreds of doubters, critics and defensive linemen, becomes the first running back in history to rush for 2,000 yards in two consecutive seasons.

Davis leads the nation in rushing for the second straight year. He is also a Heisman finalist for the second year in a row.

And he strikes the Heisman pose in the end zone of Kansas State after a record-breaking performance.

See there. There are many things to look back on and smile. There is no need for tears with such happy moments to reflect on. Plus, we have a semester of Cyclone basketball to come.

With a team ranked sixth in the nation, and all five returning starters, this is sure to be a season to remember.

We will be able to look back at all the great things that happened while we were here to see them.

So, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you, and I’ll see ya’ll next semester.

Brandon Belisle is a sophomore in journalism and mass communication from Plainfield, Illinois.