Bringing campus up to par

Christa Jensen

Fore! Well maybe not, but students were given a chance to view potential golf course holes designed by students in Design Studies 129 on central campus Tuesday afternoon.

Though not typical golf weather, students displayed prototypes for miniature golf courses which may eventually be made into the real thing.

The project is the brainchild of the director of the Brunnier Museum in Scheman who in turn gave it to Bill Boon, a landscape architecture professor.

Museum faculty are working to construct the golf course on campus in hopes of raising funds to refurbish campus artwork. Museum and athletic department faculty were on hand to observe the students’ prototypes.

“This is a new experience for us,” said Lynette Pohlman, director of the Brunnier Museum. “We are hoping to host an exhibition in the spring and have students work through a miniature golf course from art piece to art piece.”

Although all the students were part of Design 129, the projects were developed through recitation classes. Six recitations developed their own themes for their model holes and their own rules and regulations. Each hole combined new student ideas and existing art already on campus.

One recitation class chose a television show theme. Example holes included a show based on the Bob Ross show, Wheel of Fortune and Mr. Goodbody.

“We did a lot of brainstorming before we decided on a Wheel of Fortune theme for our hole,” said Brian Lund, a senior in aerospace engineering.

Lund worked with Jerry Roche, Jolene Peterson and Crystal Harrison to create the hole. Golfers spin the wheel and pick a club and then travel around campus. The group worked on its project for about a week and a half.

Each model was photographed and videotaped for future study and possible implementation into the proposed miniature golf course. The campus course would be available to Iowa State students next spring.

“Our main goal in our project was to be as creative as possible,” said Michelle Kite, a senior in design. “We wanted to break away from convention.”

Kite worked with Joy Fillman, Abby Zirkle and Jeff Croat to develop a tropical paradise hole and a space odyssey hole. Their recitation class required that a mask be incorporated into their hole. When playing the tropical paradise hole, golfers must wear sunglasses and when golfing through the space odyssey, participants must wear a space helmet. The group figured they had put about 50 hours into their project.