AASP wants out of Catt Hall ASAP

Carolyn Jones

The African American Studies Program committee announced its stance on campus climate and its desire to relocate the AASP out of Catt Hall in a recent memo.

The memo commends Iowa State’s “documented” commitment to diversity, but targets recent situations which “are having, or can have, and adverse effect on the growth of African American Studies and a significant proportion of the minority community at ISU.”

Some of the situations cited include the naming of Catt Hall, AASP faculty searches, the handling of racial and hate incidents and the underfunding of Minority Student Affairs and ethnic studies programs.

“Racism occurs when the race with the power uses this power to achieve goals for the good of the dominant race at the expense of another race.

“Most of the racism at ISU is unintentional and results from institutionalized structures, misunderstanding, naivete and blind selfishness. We feel the naming of Catt Hall, including the process of its naming is a good example of all of these elements,” the memo stated.

A professor from the department said the voice of minorities is often overlooked.

“I think that voices that come from a different perspective are often excluded,” said Mary Sawyer, associate professor of religious studies and African-American studies.

Sawyer said the committee’s intention is not to focus solely on the Catt Hall issue but to express that the issue is “symbolic” of other diversity situations on campus.

The committee also requests the relocation of the AASP from Catt Hall because, as stated in the memo, “a relocation would show sensitivity and allow for growth and progress rather than alienation.”

However, finding space on campus is a problem, said Jay Berry, temporary instructor in the English department and AASP committee member.

“Last I heard, we were told that space was tight,” he said.

He also said the group held its meetings at locations other than Catt Hall since the beginning of the semester.

In conclusion, the memo stated, “Furthermore, we believe it’s imperative that all members of the ISU community be required to attend racial sensitivity meetings, conferences, workshops or other forms of anti-racist education.”

Sawyer said participation in such workshops is an “opportunity to become more informed on what is happening in our present day situation.”

Berry said he would like to see racism issues receive the same kind of attention from faculty and students as issues like sexual assault.

“We are suggesting [they] treat the issue of racial discrimination with the same kind of seriousness,” Berry said.

Derrick Rollins, chair of the committee, was out of town and could not be reached for comment.