Farm House Museum taps into past

Amanda Knief

A piece of Iowa State’s history will be open to students and parents this weekend. A special feature in the house will be donated Oriental rugs.

Farm House Museum will be open as part of Parent’s Weekend on Saturday from 10 until 11:30 a.m. The Farm House Museum became a National Historic Landmark in 1965.

“We would like students to bring their parents because it is something parents would enjoy and it’s free,” Atherly said. Farm House is located on Knoll Road, north of Ross Hall. Parking is available at the Memorial Union, or there is limited parking on site.

Mary Atherly, curator of Farm House Museum, said the house was built in the early 1860’s, and was the first building at ISU. “It was the center of the social circle for the east side of the campus — the agriculture side.”

The Farm House has three floors, and is designed to look as though someone still lived there.

“The house is completely furnished from about the turn of the century. There are eight bedrooms, a library, the main parlor, the original kitchen from 1860 and the dining room.”

The first two university presidents lived in the house, and until 1970 someone lived in the house.

“The board of trustees met in the Farm House to make the decisions about where the main buildings on campus would go. The [male students] were required to work on the farm and reported to work at the house.”

For a structure to be recognized as a national landmark, it must have national significance. The Farm House became a National Historic Landmark because two men nationally recognized in agriculture lived there.

Ceaman Knapp, who was president of the university, developed innovated programs with rice while living in the Farm House. The second man was James Wilson. He was living in the house when he was asked by President William McKinley to be the first U.S. Secretary of Agriculture.

“Students can come and learn about the past history of Iowa State, and make it a pleasant experience,” Atherly said.

Sunday, Dec. 1, Farm House will be open from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. especially decorated for the holidays.

The Farm House is regularly open everyday except Saturday. The house is closed in January.