Judging team wins it all at the American Royal

Laura Baitinger

For the first time in 24 years the Iowa State Meat Judging Team won the American Royal Intercollegiate Meat Judging Contest.

This was ISU’s fifth win since the contest began in 1927. The 11 team contest was held Nov. 9 in Emporia, Kan., and was sponsored by the American Meat Science Association.

Melissa Suko, a senior in animal science, and Derek Vote, a junior in animal science, finished first and second respectively as high individuals. Tim Hardy, a senior in animal science, and Kevin Gassman, a junior in animal science, rounded off the team scoring by placing sixth and eighth as individuals.

Suko was told she could win and she was excited to prove she had the ability, she said.

F.C. Parrish, team coach and professor of meat science, said the team came from “rags to riches” after beginning the season slowly. The team earned third place at their own tournament earlier this fall. It also competed at the Excel High Plains contest in Plainview, Texas, and finished in ninth place.

Meat judging contests include several classes. Participants evaluate four exhibits in each class of beef, pork and lamb wholesale cuts and carcasses. They look for a product with ideal composition, the amount of lean and fat, and quality, including the eating characteristics such as tenderness, juiciness, coloring, marbling texture.

Students are to ascertain the differences using United States Department of Agriculture grading system and industry standards, Parrish said.

The participants work under competition circumstances and defend their choices with written reasons using problem solving and creative thinking.

Judging equips students to make reasonable decisions based on sound scientific data, Parrish said. He said there is a great need for quality meats with international markets and increased demand for safe, wholesome meat.

Suko said the team spends 20 hours a week practicing. “It makes you [be] able to make decisions and justify them with written reasons,” she said. “It is preparing us to be leaders in the meat industry.”

Members of the team are selected following the annual Block and Bridle Meat Judging Contest in the fall. Parrish selects 10 people from the 40 who try-out and practice begins in the spring semester. The team is enrolled in Animal Science 475C (Meat Evaluation), and earns two credits per semester.

The team will complete its season by participating in the International Intercollegiate Meat Judging Contest in Dakota City, Neb., on Nov. 24.