Ag Career Day is right around the corner

Laura Baitinger

The Great Hall of the Memorial Union will be filled with excitement and anxiety Tuesday as students meet prospective employers.

Ag Career Day started more than 30 years ago and took place in Curtiss Hall. It has since expanded to fill the Great Hall, South Ballroom, Sun Room and Oak Room of the Memorial Union.

A record number of companies will come to Iowa State to participate in the country’s largest agriculture career day. Of the 145 organizations from across the nation, more than 100 will offer summer intern programs.

Companies like to participate in the career day because Iowa State has a strong reputation in agricultural businesses, said Roger Bruene, agriculture career services director.

“We can get the organizations to come,” Bruene said. “We have a waiting list and have turned companies down.”

The trade-show-like event, which will run from 9:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m., is a way for students to begin networking with employers, Bruene said. He encouraged students from all disciplines of the university to participate.

“It’s a good way to start networking and finding out about the business,” he said.

Attending career day is a great way to get one-on-one initial contact with companies before entering the interviewing environment, said Angie Rasmus, general co-chair of Ag Career Day. Several companies will interview students on Wednesday and Thursday following career day.

She said the planning committee tried to broaden the scope of the participants to include the interests of more people from the College of Agriculture. There are 29 new organizations that have not previously participated in the event.

Larger companies participating in the event include: Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Cargill, Ciba and the Iowa Pork Producers Association. Job opportunities are available in a wide field of areas including animal science, sales, finance, government and grain.

Many students have volunteered to help welcome the organizations and act as hosts and hostesses throughout the event. Rasmus said by helping with Ag Career Day students make the atmosphere more friendly.

“It is an easy way to break the ice with employers,” she said.

Students interested in learning about the companies participating in Ag Career Day may pick up a program from Room 141 in Curtiss Hall before the event. New this year, the program includes a chart of businesses and their areas of employment.