Students celebrate successful Ag Week

Laura Baitinger

From formal mock interviews to running around campus in the middle of the night, students in the College of Agriculture celebrated Ag Week ’96.

The week, Oct. 28-Nov. 1, came off as a success, said Pauley Bradley, Ag Week ’96 committee chairman and a senior in agronomy, due to moving Ag Week to an earlier date on the university calendar.

“My first impression is that it was definitely better than years past,” Bradley said. “Indications that moving the week up from career day got more people to participate.”

He said better advertising and publicity this year also improved turnout.

Matt Miller, a freshman in agricultural education, said he heard about the events through word of mouth and the sandwich boards. He said he had fun participating in several events including the volleyball tournament, the hayride and scavenger hunt.

“I got to meet a lot of other students from the College of Ag and it was a good chance to get away from classes and studying,” Miller said.

Monday night the mock interviews brought 60 students dressed in formal interviewing outfits equipped with r‚sum‚s to the Agronomy Building to work on interviewing skills. Industry professionals worked with the students to give them suggestions on their r‚sum‚s and communication styles.

Students shed the formals and went for costumes for the Halloween Hex-Travaganza following the interviews. Bradley estimated over 100 students went to Hunky Dory’s Night Club, 300 S. 17th St., to dance and socialize. Students dressed in a wide variety of costumes including the Bundy’s from the television show “Married with Children,” the Statue of Liberty, Forrest Gump and cave women. A group sporting Village People outfits won the costume contest.

Ten more teams than last year participated in the volleyball tournament which took place at the Lied Recreation Center Tuesday night. The team representing agricultural systems and technology earned the champion’s title after beating the agronomy team in the final round. Eighteen teams competed in the tournament including a faculty team.

The agriculture panel discussion on “Risk Management in Production Agriculture” brought 60 people including local farmers to the Great Hall of the Memorial Union Wednesday night. Bradley said the turnout was better than last year, but he was disappointed there was not more participation. He said many farmers, the panel’s targeted audience, were still in the fields.

Thursday night brought freezing temperatures, but that did not discourage over 50 students from taking part in the Halloween Hayride. Bradley said students had a good time telling ghost stories and eating s’mores around a bonfire.

Friday morning right after midnight nearly 30 students braved the cold to run around central campus in the first Midnight Madness scavenger hunt. The international agriculture team earned the most points in the six-team competition. Bradley said the event could become something that could really take off in future years.