Learn and enjoy at cultural festival

Cho Minkyung

Be a part of civilizations and heritages from around the world today as part of the Festival of Culture.

Today from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union, the International Student Council and the Intensive English and Orientation Program (IEOP) will create the Festival of Culture, as part of the International Week 1996.

Student organizations will display traditional arts, crafts, costumes, musical instruments and printed materials about their countries in Cultural Displays. The groups will also perform acts of native music, singing and dance on stage.

Fifteen groups will participate in this year’s event, including students from Latin America, Africa, Asia and Europe.

“I’ve been helping International Week for three years, and I think this will be the best Cultural Displays I have seen so far, because we planned early, worked hard and had many groups which want to join us,” said Soonvun Austinson, chair of Cultural Displays.

Roger Bertelsen, associate director of IEOP, said, “If you go to this event, you will actually do something, make something and take something away with you from an exciting ‘hands-on’ cross culture.”

He said it is a neat way to see another culture without actually traveling somewhere.

IEOP contacted several elementary schools and high schools in Ames for the Festival of Cultures. Bertelsen said, “With this show, most Ames children as an audience can experience a world which they never knew before .”

As one of international activities, Korean Student Association and approximately 35 Korean IEOP students will present a tae kwon do demonstration, give out “Bokjori” (good luck charm) and photograph participants in Korean traditional costume.

“I hope this event will bring a chance not only to know other cultures but also to rediscover their own culture in a way of historical bequest,” said Oh Won-Seong, IEOP student from Korea.

“Moreover, most international students are far away from home,” Won-Seong said, “so they can be aware of the traditional image of their own country which they sometimes forget.”