Grab your mittens and your kittens, winter is a comin’

Jennifer Young

It’s that time of year again — time to start thinking about those harsh, cold winter days.

Since it’s Winter Weather Awareness week, there are many precautions that need to be taken in order to be prepared for the upcoming winter. Several things are needed, from health to automobile care.

Is your car ready?

Russ Neely, manager of Midas at 113 Lincoln Way said people should check the antifreeze in their car, have the oil changed, get the tires changed and get a tune up before the weather turns nasty.

Neely said the biggest problem Midas sees in the winter is the antifreeze.

He said low fluid levels cause the engine to overheat resulting in engine damage.

Other common problems motorists face during the harsh winter months are poor batteries and engines that are not tuned properly.

“Make sure that your car is mechanically sound and take care of the basic maintenance items,” Neely said. “That’s the best thing you can do for the car.”

The Red Cross recommends carrying a winter storm survival kit in vehicles.

Items in the kit should include a blanket; a flashlight with extra batteries; a first aid kit; a knife; high-calorie, non-perishable food; extra clothing; a small can and water-proof matches to melt snow for drinking water; a sack of sand; a shovel; a windshield scraper and brush; tow rope; booster cables; a compass and road maps.

Bundle up

Students should also take precautions when drudging in the cold weather to and from classes this winter.

Robert Patterson, director of student health, said students should dress warmly this winter in order to protect themselves from frostbite and other conditions.

Students should wear several layers of thin clothing rather than just a couple layers of thick clothing.

Patterson said the thin clothing is “more breathable,” and the layered insulation has less penetration from the wind.

The distal parts of the body, such as the ears, fingers, toes, noses and cheeks, are more susceptible to frostbite. “They’re more distal to circulation and more exposed,” Patterson said.

He said there are a lot of cases of frostbite every winter on campus, especially on very cold days.

“We advise students of how not to have this happen again and treat them appropriately,” he said. “It’s best that people prepare and prevent that. It doesn’t take long to get flash freezing of exposed skin on some of our winter days.”

Don’t forget about the pets

Students should also worry about the safety of their pets when the cold weather comes to town.

Tiffany Klemetson, a veterinary assistant at the Ames Pet Hospital, said inside and outside dogs should be treated differently.

Pet owners should provide outside dogs with a “ventilated but warm doghouse and a heated water bowl so it’s not constantly freezing over.”

If the temperatures are below zero, owners should provide a garage or basement for the dog, but Klemetson said outside dogs should not be let indoors because they will only want to stay inside.

Klemetson said pet owners with an inside dog should shorten the time a dog is allowed outside.

“They should check the bottoms of the dog’s feet for snow and salt because it can irritate their feet,” she said.

If these precautions are not followed, pets could suffer form hypothermia. A dog’s feet can get dry or cracked if the snow and salt is not wiped off.

Klemetson said cats should be treated the same way. Cats have an easier time than dogs in the winter because they are smaller and can burrow more easily to find warmth.