Jordan questions the use of ‘immense resources’

Jennifer Newcomb

Lynda Jordan, Iowa State’s third George Washington Carver visiting scholar, said she was surprised at the “immense resources” Iowa State has to offer minority students, but wondered who was using them.

On Wednesday morning, Jordan joined ISU President Martin Jischke on WOI-AM radio show, “Talk of Iowa.”

Jischke spoke on the topic of heroes, including Carrie Chapman Catt and George Washington Carver.

“I consider Carver a hero for all of us. We need to be tolerant and respectful each other’s heroes,” he said.

“Catt is a symbol of progress empowerment. To others, she is a symbol of white supremacy. In this aspect, it is a very important issue. I hope that the solution is something we can all benefit from.”

A listener called and discussed with Jischke the impact of education on the economy.

“There is no mistaking the impact of education on economic prospects of the future,” Jischke said.

When Jordan was asked to add to Jischke’s answer on education, she responded with what she called her motto.

“A brain does not have gender. A brain does not have any money. A brain does not have color,” she said.

Jordan grew up in Boston, Mass. She did not fit the demographics her high school projected of students that would go on to college, she said. Through a program called “Outward Bound,” Jordan received her first exposure to the curriculum of a college. Here, she discovered that she had a knack for chemistry.

Jordan went on to college and received a degree in professional chemistry from North Carolina A&T, a master’s degree in chemistry from Atlanta University, and then a Ph.D. in biological chemistry from Massachusetts Institute of Technology. She is now a professor at her alma mater, North Carolina A&T.

Jordan was featured in the PBS series, “Discovering Women,” which aired in March, 1995.

She was also honored at the White House by Hillary Rodham Clinton along with other women in science, technology and engineering.

The George Washington Carver Visiting Scholar program was created three years ago in an effort to bring under-represented groups to campus.

Jordan is on campus for a variety of meetings with science students, faculty and administrators.

Another caller asked Jordan asked if she had ever gone back to her high school to share her successes.

“Everyday,” she said. “I also work intensely with a precollegiate program.”

Jischke thanked everyone who helped to bring Jordan to Iowa State University.