STDs still ISUproblem

Jennell Bilek

Sexually Transmitted Diseases, or STDs, continue to spread among Iowa State students.

“We have seen a lot more cases of genital warts in recent years,” Krista Noah, the Center Manager for Planned Parenthood of Greater Iowa said. In addition, Noah said that 64 people tested positive for Chlamydia during the August 1995 to August 1996 time frame. The number includes only those tested at Planned Parenthood in Ames.

According to the Center for Disease Control, the number of cases of the Human Papilloma Virus, or genital warts, and Chlamydia has increased since the 1980’s. There are about a quarter of a million cases of Chlamydia nationally, and in Iowa there are nearly 3,000 cases.

Dr. Robert Patterson, the Director of Student Health Services at Iowa State, said Iowa State’s reported cases of STDs are consistent with national averages.

Chlamydia is transmitted by vaginal intercourse and can be treated with a prescribed antibiotic.

In a questionnaire Dr. Corly Petersen, ISU professor, gave to approximately 300 students taking her Human Development and Family Service 276 class last spring, 50 percent of females and 72 percent of males said they had never been tested for an STD. Unfortunately there are STDs like Chlamydia and HIV that may not have noticeable symptoms.

When asked why there is a growing number of people contracting STDs, Noah said, “the number always continues to rise because people are having sex younger.”

The Iowa State Student Health Center and Planned Parenthood conduct STD and HIV testing. The Health Center does free, confidential HIV testing every Wednesday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., and Friday from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.