Panel discusses athletes and violence

Erin Mcconeghey

A panel of ISU student athletes and other advocates of non-violence met in the Gallery of the Memorial Union Wednesday to discuss the growing problem of violence and aggressive behavior related to athletes.

Lynda Lyman, panel member and an associate professor in the health and human performance department, said male athletes make up 3.3 percent of the NCAA Division I student body, yet they are reported to commit 19 percent of all crimes against women.

Lyman said football and basketball players account for 67 percent of the 19 percent of the athletes committing the crimes.

Kenny Pratt, an ISU basketball player, was used as an example by panel members as an athlete who was recently in the news for a violent act. Pratt turned himself in to the Ames police on Oct. 4. A disorderly conduct arrest warrant had been issued after an incident took place Sept. 28 at The Dean’s List.

A senior director from the athletic department stood up and requested that the panel quit speaking about Pratt because he had not been convicted yet.

Iowa State’s code of conduct states if an athlete is accused of a felony he or she might lose the privilege to compete; it doesn’t keep him or her from practicing.

Tim Kohn, a member of the ISU football team and one of the panel members, said it takes “dedication, commitment and aggression” to be a good athlete.

Kohn thinks being aggressive is very important. “I’ve never seen a passive athlete who is successful,” he said.

All of the panel members agreed it is important to be able to separate the aggression felt while competing from when they aren’t competing.

Jen Lansink, a member of the volleyball team and another panel member, said she thinks all sports are very different.

Lansink said, “There is some sort of anger,” but she says her anger and aggressiveness is more toward herself than others.

“You have to take charge and command the situation,” Lansink said. But it is also important to not carry the actions and aggressiveness off the court.

Kohn said the football team sat through five to six lectures on how to conduct themselves off the field. The lectures stressed to “act with as much class off the field as we do on the field.”

“Athletes rarely start a fight,” Kohn said. He said it is because they know the consequences. If an athlete does break a law many of the panel members think the athletes should be punished somehow.

Chris Wycoff, a member of the track team, said he thinks all decisions about the status of the athlete should wait until the athlete goes through the law process.

Lansink said the athlete should not be prohibited from practicing. She said if the athlete is found not guilty he or she would have lost precious practice time.

Lyman pointed out these athletes are also students and that should be remembered.

She said, “Students don’t get kicked out of school if they commit crimes.”