Just asking for trouble and tragedy

Barry W. Mccroskey

It was five or six years ago that a frustrated graduate student killed four and crippled one at the University of Iowa. Earlier this year a similar incident took place in California. Last week someone with a hunting rifle killed one student at Penn State.

Thankfully, Iowa State has never experienced such a tragedy. But should such an event occur on campus, a call to “911” will get a fully trained officer of DPS equipped with nothing more lethal than a baton and a can of pepper spray.

The time has come for DPS and ISU to rethink its policy of an unarmed security force on campus. DPSis a fully empowered, professional, trained law enforcement agency.

It seems only reasonable that they be given all the tools required of law enforcement.

Whether we like it or not, in this country, in this day and age, firearms are a required piece of equipment for public safety professionals.

It is to protect us as well as the officers themselves.

We don’t think twice about the local police or sheriff’s deputies going armed. Indeed, most would find it odd if they weren’t.

To expect DPSto perform the same duties, answer the same types of calls and operate in the same environment as the Ames Police Dept., but not equip them with the needed tools, is at best short-sighted and at worst, potentially tragic.

Barry W. McCroskey

Assistant Hospital Administrator

Veterinary Teaching Hospital