‘Loser bowling’ not just for guys

Jessica Kearney

It’s Saturday night. You are sitting in your dorm room, playing computer solitaire out of boredom. What do you do?

If you were Nic Boote, a sophomore in agricultural engineering, or Matthew Stanford, a sophomore in philosophy, you would invent something to do, such as “loser bowling.”

“We were sitting around on a weekend evening feeling sorry for ourselves because we’re losers,” Boote said. Then they noticed Ben Byrne’s Pringles cans.

“And then we saw a frisbee, so we threw the frisbee at the four Pringles cans,” Stanford said.

After a few trials, Boote and Stanford decided to set up a bowling lane in the hallway of their residence, Harwood House in Lyon Hall, making a standardized pin set and foul line out of masking tape.

And so, the two created loser bowling; which they describe as “the social event for the socially inept.”

To loser bowl, you need 10 Pringles cans for pins and a 10-inch frisbee, “The crappier the better. A really good frisbee just makes the game too easy,” Boote said.

To make the lane, the foul line should be placed at 39 feet and five inches from the back of the pin set, which is a 28-inch equilateral triangle.

Boote said the game is just like normal bowling, except for tossing a frisbee at Pringles cans. Games are five frames long, with the last frame the same as the 10th in normal bowling.

“The game caught on [at Harwood], and we decided to make a league,” Stanford said. Fourteen teams of two bowlers have league games every Wednesday night as part of the house’s loser bowling social program.

“Being a good loser bowler requires talent, luck, enthusiasm and boredom,” said Byrne, a freshman in art and design. Byrne holds the high league score of 55.

However, loser bowling is not a sport just for the guys.

Chrissy Meyer, a sophomore in journalism, said she loser bowls “because I felt that it was not only my duty as a female, but my obligation to society to represent my sex in this, the greatest of sports.”

Open bowling hours are also popular, Stanford said.

“It’s just a nice way to procrastinate if you have a [paper] due the next morning,” he said. Byrne agrees.

“It’s fun, it’s free, and it’s not immoral,” he said.