Drug provides new high for students

Danaca Schneider

More than a year ago, an Iowa State student’s annual trip to the Apple River in Wisconsin turned life threatening when he was found at a rest area along the river, nearly dead.

Steve Stacy, a senior in construction engineering, overdosed on ephedrine.

Mini-Thins, the trade name of the over-the-counter drug, have no known medicinal value.

Ephedrine, which is commonly nicknamed “white crosses,” is widely used among truck drivers to stay awake and people with weight problems to help suppress their appetites.

And recently, college students have made it one of the latest drug trends. Ephedrine is one of the hottest over-the-counter stimulants used today because it is easily available at many gas stations and drug stores.

Students have begun to use the drug as a form of speed for pulling all nighters, making it to class awake or to stay out all night partying.

Ephedrine is an amphetamine-like chemical that acts as a stimulant. The drug is a central-nervous system stimulant like cocaine, only weaker. It is stronger than stimulants such as nicotine or caffeine, but just as legal.

“I never thought taking ephedrine would end up putting me in the hospital. What was to be one of the most exciting summer weekends at Apple River turned sour when I overdosed on ephedrine,” Stacy said.

“I really do not remember much of what happened, I had been up for three days.

“I was taking five to six ephedrine a day to stay awake. I was also drinking and ate very little,” he said.

Stacy was put on advanced life support until his vital signs were recovered.

“I will never take ephedrine again,” he said.

The drug increases the heart rate while boosting the body’s metabolic rate. It is sometimes used for treating mild cases of chronic seasonal asthma. But most people use it at their own discretion.

“I heard about it through my friends in high school,” said Lori Miller, a senior in business. Miller had never used any sort of stimulant until she complained of being tired one day at school.

A friend gave her a couple ephedrine to help her stay awake.

“I need to take them on days I am dragging. I usually only take one or two,” Miller said.

She has been a regular user since her first encounter. She said she is not dependent on the drug.

“I don’t have to take them. I just feel better when I do.”

Tim Cmelik, chief pharmacist at the Student Health Center, said the drug has been known to cause body cramps and brain hemorrhages.

“When combined with caffeine, ephedrine’s effects only get worse,” he said.

According to published FDA reports, there has been an increase in demand for a combination of ephedrine and caffeine. Some call it a “harmless high.”

But many who use ephedrine are not aware of the dangerous side-effects.

Center for Disease Control and Prevention have on file more than 300 reports of adverse reactions to ephedrine, even at low doses, which include: stroke, chest pain, seizures, insomnia, nausea and vomiting, fatigue and dizziness. Ephedrine has caused at least 17 deaths, something Stacy was unaware of until it was almost too late.

Still, ephedrine is a low-profile drug, but it’s popularity is picking up.

“I do know many college students who use ephedrine. I just never thought it could kill you,” Miller said.