It’s time for lunch with ANTS

Adrian Devore

Lunch does not have to be a lonesome experience for non-traditional students at Iowa State. In the College of Family and Consumer Sciences is a group of adult undergraduates known as the ANTS (Adult Non-Traditional Students).

Karen Pawlowski, a junior in hotel, restaurant and institutional management, said ANTS is not limited to older students, though non-traditional students are usually those aged 25 and older.

“In ANTS, a person does not have to be married with children or commute to become actively involved. It is not an age factor thing,” Pawlowski said.

ANTS was founded in the fall of 1992 and was started by Heidi Winteround.

Winteround, a former adult student, decided it would be nice if there was a group for non-traditional students and their needs.

Winteround, whose husband was in the College of Veterinary Medicine and belonged to a spouses group the Vet Med college formed, offered to begin a similar program in the College of Family and Consumer Sciences.

She said through ANTS “adult students come together in an informal very relaxed setting and have the opportunity to get away from the hectic pace of a the school day.”

They are an unstructured group with no bylaws and no dues for anyone who wants to be with other students who are similar in age and common experiences.

Pawloski said, “If someone has a problem, we can all help get a solution to that.”

“It is just for the College of FCS but there is no objection if anyone else wants to come in and have lunch with us” she said.

Lunch hours for ANTS are on Mondays and Wednesdays in 118 MacKay Hall from 12-1 p.m. and study hours are Mondays in 116 MacKay Hall from 11 a.m. – 12 p.m. and Tuesday 1-2 p.m. in 119 MacKay Hall.

For anyone who wishes to join ANTS, contact Darlene Frantzke in 124 MacKay.