There’s more amiss than Catt Hall

Adrian Devore

“Ever since the world ended. I don’t go out as much…” – “Ever Since the World Ended”- Mose Allison

With all of the crap that has been going on within the past several weeks, I sometimes wonder if we are human beings or just animals.

Instead of using nonviolent measures to resolve misunderstandings, we, as a community, have chosen to openly live in denial. Something is not right.

I could have decided to write on “men behaving badly” in response to being ticked off at all the men who have mistreated me or any of my female friends but that is not what this column is all about.

Promoting gender discrimination by hating men is like stating that all women are wonderful. Unfortunately, there are “women behaving badly” (including myself) who are just as guilty. Equal disrespect among the sexes abound.

I thought about incorporating a broken friendship last semester as my encounter of “men behaving badly.”

I would have found myself entering a complicated arena by revealing every detail that went wrong without entirely changing the names and original circumstances.

Even seven months later, I am just better off not being intertwined with this former friend. It is a very private matter.

Columns are also not based upon attacking specific individuals because they have chosen to make life miserable. However, in writing upon the experiences of other people as one-sided issues is a tricky arena. Both sides must be presented.

It is also my responsibility to draw lines on what I do or don’t write. Editorials are the written snapshots on how society strongly feels in reacting to various issues.

At this watermark of the semester, I have discussed with you the following items:

1. Welfare “Reform”

2. Racism

3. Privacy Rights/Abortion

4. Communication Problems

5. Domestic Violence

There is more than CATT HALL on campus for these reasons:

1. I don’t think that people are overly interested in the whiny proselytisms of the September 29th Movement as racism (and other discriminatory processes) happens all of the time.

As a thirty-year old African-American, I have encountered both overt and subtle discrimination in every aspect ranging from age to race.

Even here, I have been discriminated against. I also believe that CATT HALL is the funniest controversy that I ever followed. (As an Easterner, I don’t become passionately embroiled over names of buildings.) What an oddball concept.

2. I also don’t believe that President Jischke tried to alleviate racial tensions stemming from the racially-motivated beating of Deantrious Mitchell early last Friday morning when they continues to escalate.

Perhaps he could read “Markings” by Dag Hammarskjold and Martin Luther King’s “Why Can’t We Wait,” which are excellent book for enhancing human relations written by men of conscience that can make him more convincing. Sominex, please?

3. I choose not to join in solidarity with Diversity Advisor Derrick Rollins, as he was totally stupid for accepting a position that he clearly declared personal discomfort.

I guess that President Jischke couldn’t locate anyone over in the College of Education with actual Multicultural Relations experience. Go back to the labs, Dr. Rollins.

4. I am equally appalled by Mrs. Sharon Rodine’s odious attitude in using her wealth by telling people to SHUT UP because of her intolerance of any diverse opinions.

I never knew that one of this university’s biggest donors has never gotten beyond Piaget’s preoperational period of development.

Money can actually breed egocentric disgust.

5. I place full blame for prolonging this silliness on numbers one through four.

I have grown personally sick of this whole mess.

When an innocent African-American student security guard is beaten because of his race or a white Daily reporter is harassed by homophobes for her story on a Lesbian couple, I am constantly reminded of more serious things going on than CATT HALL. We are barking up the wrong tree. I don’t care anymore.

Adrian DeVore is a senior in food science from Newark. She has a B.A. in English from Rutgers University (Douglass College).