Wind whips up a chill

Kathleen Carlson

The wind was whipping the fallen autumn leaves around in swirls and eyes were teary as students adjusted to the drastic change in weather yesterday.

Josh Weens, a freshman in agriculture, said he had no idea the temperature was going to be so cold, which is why he was only donning a T-shirt and pants. He had his hands stuffed deeply into his pockets.

“I didn’t even think about it because it’s been so nice lately,” Weens said.

The cool temperatures and high winds yesterday were a parting shot from the warm weather the past few days.

Wednesday’s highs were in the mid-70s.

Winds from the west to the east moved in early yesterday morning, bringing with them colder conditions from Canada.

The cold Canadian air will be here for a while.

Another student was caught unaware of the cold weather and spent a chilly day in his shorts and long-sleeved shirt. Freshman Doug Marsteller, pre-business, said he didn’t know it was going to be so cold.

“I think it’s colder than it was supposed to be. When I woke up it’s just what I put on and I was too lazy to change,” Marsteller said.

Scott Lind, a Channel 13 meteorologist, said winter weather is on the way.

“It’s going to stay with us for a while, but we probably will have one warm day that will pop up with temperatures in the 70s,” Lind said.

Will Kubina, a meteorologist for the National Weather Service in Johnston, said there was a wind advisory yesterday until 4 p.m. with wind speeds of 20 to 30 mph.

The high temperature of 69 degrees was at the unusual time of midnight.

The low as of press time was at 47 degrees and falling fast. The state was blanketed last night by frost.

The normal high for Ames this time of year is 64 degrees with lows in the mid-40s.

The cold weather may have had an effect on some business. Abdul Muhammad, a graduate student in history and an employee at Burgie’s, a local coffee shop, said more people have been coming in for coffee and cocoa instead of smoothies.

While many students were unprepared for the cold weather, Jill Hadsall, a sophomore in marketing, wore a turtleneck and fleece jacket to fight the wind and chilly temperatures.

Hadsall said she had a friend tell her it was going to be really cold. At first she didn’t believe him, but then she changed her mind.

“I wasn’t ready for sweater weather yet, but it has been a dramatic change from yesterday to today,” Hadsall said.

“It’s like they always say, ‘Wait five minutes and the weather will change in Iowa.’ You’ve gotta believe them.”