Jack Trice dies from injuries; hurt Saturday

Daily Staff Writer

The following is the first in a series of historical articles as they appeared in Iowa State’s student newspaper. This is the orginal story of the death of Jack Trice that appeared in the Monday, Oct. 8, 1923, issue of The Iowa State Student, the predecessor of the Daily. At the time, the Student was an evening paper.

Jack Trice, fighting Iowa State tackle, died at 3 p.m. today in spite of every care and precaution.

Death resulted from an injury to the abdomen in the third quarter of the Minnesota game last Saturday. In an off-tackle play, Trice, on his back to the ground, was trampled on.

Within ten minutes after he was hurt Jack was rushed to a hospital a half block from Northrup Field, and was later brought to Ames in a Pullman, and was taken immediately to the College hospital.

After the accident, Jack would not be carried off the field, but walked off.

His condition was good, however, until 4 p.m. yesterday, when his respiration began to increase in time, and all available local doctors were called. Doctors Ghrist and Bush were reached, and entered into a conference with Dr. Edwards, College hospital head, and Dr. Dvorak, athletic trainer.

At 10 p.m. Dr. Edwards summoned Dr. Oliver J. Fay, of Des Moines, one of the best known specialists in stomach troubles in the United States, and he arrived at 1:30 a.m.

An operation was considered, but Dr. Fay thought the danger would be too great, so no operation was performed.

Football practice for the prep and varsity squads has been cancelled this evening, and the program of Song Week, which was to start today, will be cancelled.

Complete details of funeral arrangements are not yet available.

With him since his injury has been his wife, whom nurses in the hospital say is bearing up bravely.