Compromise in dorm-door policy might be possible

Greg Moberly

The “no decorations” residence hall door policy may soon be on the way out, if students can agree to censor materials they feel are objectionable.

Residents met to discuss the current door policy and other residence hall issues with Randy Alexander, the new director of residence halls, last week in the Large Conference Room of the Maple-Willow-Larch Commons.

“This is a fundamental issue of how we are going to treat each other,” Alexander said.

He said changes in the door policy may be on the horizon, depending on whether students want an “all or nothing” policy or whether they agree that some things are offensive.

An incident in 1992, in which a student posted Nazi symbols on his door, prompted the university to ban all door decorations. It remains policy.

Rob Wiese, Inter-Residence Hall Association president, said there is a proposal now in IRHA committees asking for a policy change.

The initial draft of that proposal states the, “. . . hall side of the door for a residence hall room is a public area and the house community has both the right and responsibility to regulate this area.” It further states, “. . . The public side of the door is a community area shared by everyone who uses the hallway and not solely by the student who lives there.”

The proposal clarifies that materials “found to be racially, ethnically or sexually offensive to groups or individuals by a majority of a floor will be removed.”

A procedure would then be set forth to appeal someone’s questionable door display, Wiese said.

“We have been looking to make a change for a long time, and now we have a director [Alexander] who is really interested in changing it,” Wiese said.

Wiese expects to have a final proposal to Alexander before Thanksgiving break. If Alexander approves the proposal, then he will send it to Tom Thielen, vice president for student affairs. If Thielen OKs it, university lawyers will have the final say on whether the proposal is workable.

Katie Bierman, a freshman in biology and a Barton Hall resident, said the proposal sounds good but getting through the university red tape has been difficult in the past.

“They should have the right to say whatever they want, but this policy is a legitimate compromise for the community,” added Travis Franck, a freshman in computer science and also a Barton Hall resident.