Looking forward to Coming Out Week

Tracy Call

Coming Out Week isn’t just about stepping out of the closet.

Beginning today, National Coming Out Week will take place on the Iowa State campus.

The annual event, started in 1990, is held in remembrance of the 1987 march on Washington, when thousands of homosexuals made themselves seen and heard.

Ries Pearson, coordinator of of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Student Office said this week’s events will create a safe atmosphere for many.

“This week gives folks that aren’t outspoken about who they are, a chance to be proud while feeling safe in their environment,” she said.

Last year between 50 and 70 people turned out for most of the events. The estimated amount of homosexuals on campus is 10 to 12 percent. The expected turnout for this year is about 150 people, Pearson said.

There are many scheduled events for this week’s main focus, which is to bring visibility to LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) issues. The week isn’t just geared toward homosexuals, but to everyone on campus.

“The underlying issue is fighting for the rights of everyone,” Pearson said. Most people think the week is about homosexuals getting together and coming out when really it is for everyone to gain awareness.

The keynote speaker for the week is Paul Wesselmann, the creator of Stone Soup Seminars. He is a motivational speaker who helps people explore who they are.

“Paul is a very positive, motivational person,” said Beverly Mau, special events coordinator for LGBT. “He is a very uplifting person and I personally believe in him.”

He started his first workshops in 1988, speaking at leadership and professional developmental conferences.

Wesselmann will speak in the Memorial Union Sun Room on Thursday, Oct. 10 at 8 p.m. Everyone is welcome to attend. His interactive speech will be based on audience participation. Questions, comments and opinions are welcomed as he discusses the topics of sex, marriage, the military, God and the Bible.

Paul will also be the keynote speaker during the rally on Friday, Oct. 11 at noon south of the Campanile, along with several other speakers.

This is a very important week for the silent minority. Slapping a pink triangle on your car isn’t enough, Mau said. “Saying you’re queer isn’t enough, you need to do something about it, and that is what this week is all about.”