Ukrainian university honors Scanes

Laura Baitinger

The National Agricultural University of Ukraine has recently named an Iowa State administrator an honorary professor.

Colin Scanes, executive associate dean of the College of Agriculture, earned the honorary professor title this fall for his work with the university to revise its curriculum.

The Ukrainian university is working to change its curriculum, which was based on the philosophy of socialism and communism ideals, to be comparable to Western free market countries. Scanes also helped plan an agricultural conference to establish the International Agribusiness Institute. Scanes has been to the Ukraine four times this year.

“It was a very, very nice honor,” Scanes said. “I’m committed to helping the Ukraine and ISU in the internationalization of the curriculum.”

Stanley Johnson, vice provost for extension, was named an honorary professor in 1994 but traveled to the Ukraine this fall to receive his award at the Agribusiness Institute. He worked with the National Agricultural University to make linkages with Western nations.

Johnson also worked with the World Bank to negotiate world agricultural loans and the conditions of economic reform that were necessary to receive the loans for the Ukrainian government.

David Topel, dean of the College of Agriculture, also worked with the National Agricultural University. He said the College of Agriculture has participated in exchanges with the Ukrainian University since 1990.

The College of Agriculture has become more involved with international programs, Topel said. “If our students are to be competitive in the 21st century they have to be prepared to meet the challenges of international agriculture,” Topel said. “Our faculty has to teach from experience.”

Topel earned the honorary professor title in 1993 and said it is the university’s way of showing its appreciation for professor’s efforts.

“It’s a great honor,” Topel said. “It’s a reflection of their appreciation for ISU’s help to change to a modern 21st century curriculum.”