Rally calls on students to rise up against violent acts

Jennifer Newcomb

In spite of the wind and the occasional rain, what started with 50-60 people gathered to support safety on the Iowa State campus ended with nearly 80 participants.

Julie Wooden, co-chair of the Week Without Violence Committee, began with a short introductory speech to welcome the supporters. Fighting the wind and darkness, she offered the microphone to anyone who had something to say.

Meron Wondwosen, president of the Black Student Alliance, spoke of the environment on campus and its effects on students.

“The hostile environment on campus has escalated, and it finally blew up on Oct. 18. Our safety is a right. We will keep fighting for that right, and we will get it,” she said.

On Friday, Oct. 18, black student security officer Deantrious Mitchell was reportedly assaulted by a group of white individuals.

ISU senior Nathan Battan, director of Union Drive Association student security, spoke of the recent attack. “If you see D. Mitchell, don’t ask how he is doing. Don’t say, ‘I’m sorry.’ Tell him what a great job he does, because that is the truth,” Battan said.

Mitchell will return to work Thursday.

Robert Wiese, Inter-Residence Hall Association president, said, “We are proud of all the student security officers.”

Wiese also spoke of a program called “Peace it Together,” sponsored by the Assistant Dean Liaison Council, which is geared toward unity on campus by working with different groups. On Nov. 13 at noon on the steps of Beardshear Hall, a public rally will be held to support unity against violence.

Charidy Wright spoke from the view of a woman on campus. She said there are times when she doesn’t feel safe. She also said she was upset it took a crisis to open people’s eyes.

“We have to stop waiting for a crisis to ban together. We should ban together before the crisis,” Wright said.

Kathy MacKay, dean of students, also spoke at the rally. She said she was concerned with the conversations and allegations spreading throughout campus. She invited anyone who had possible solutions to speak to her.

Reis Pearson, coordinator for the Lesbian Gay Bisexual student services office, said, “I am glad that the people who are here came. I am just shocked that there aren’t more.”

Brad Lozan, director of student information for the Government of the Student Body, said, “Communication is the key. Tell people what they missed here tonight.”

To wrap up the rally, Wooden again took the microphone and thanked everyone for coming. She explained the reason for having the rally on Clyde Williams Field.

“We all feel safe in the light. We had the rally here so people could feel safe in the dark,” Wooden said.

Mitchell was assaulted on the field.