A man to remembe

Chris Theiler and Kathryn Healy

Maybe some of you might have seen a black cadillac with the license plate “CH4” driving around campus a few times.

The owner, Dr. Richard R. Dague, was as distinctive as his car. Although The Daily has already printed an article about the passing of Dr. Dague, we would like to share a few thoughts on what a profound impact our major professor had on our lives.

You might ask, why “CH4” on his license plate? Dr. Dague was a professor who was very enthusiastic about his research. If you know Dr. Dague, you are sure to know that our research lab worked on the biological treatment of various agricultural, industrial and municipal wastes for the generation of useful energy. This energy is in the form of methane, or CH4.

He worked very hard to solve some major environmental concerns. Dr. Dague’s enthusiasm for his research carried over to his students. He challenged us to do better than our best and also gave the same of himself.

He respected our opinions and encouraged us to make our own decisions. One of the most important things he taught his students was to never give up and always “keep up the good work!”

He would always tell us, “That’s why it’s called Re-search; first you search; then you research.” With just a few words, he could turn a negative attitude into a positive one. So for you Dr. Dague, our research group would like to say thanks for all your hard work and dedication.

Your time on this earth was well spent and your success as a person has shown in the lives of all the people you have touched with your leadership and caring. We have been honored to work with you. Although things will not be the same without you, we will never give up and we will work hard to make our dreams and your dreams come true.

Chris Theiler

Graduate student

civil engineering

Kathryn Healy

Graduate student

civil engineering