Trice opinions sought on web

Daphne Myers

University officials are uncertain of the specifics and the costs associated with moving the Jack Trice statue.

University officials are seeking opinions via the Iowa State Homepage.

Diana Pounds, assistant director of university relations, has helped to create a place on the ISU Homepage for the community’s comments.

“[ISU President Martin] Jischke was looking for ways to get more comments and input from the students,” Pounds said. “We’ve been looking for more ways to get feedback on a variety of issues. This is the second time we’ve used this method.”

Last week university relations officials posted a comment page for feedback on an issue concerning the ice arena. “As people respond, we will pull the information off line and pass it along.”

Representatives from the athletic department and Government of the Student Body senators will decide on the exact location of the statue, if a funding bill is passed tonight.

GSB President Adam Gold said the cost to move, restore and relocate the Jack Trice statue will run between $15,000 and $30,000. Gold is hoping to have the statue moved by Nov. 2.

Gold spoke with President Jischke who said GSB will be required to pay one-third of the bill and the university will contribute the remaining two-thirds of the cost.

“I think it’s reasonable. It would be unreasonable for us to say it’s our statue, now you move it,” he said.

He said with the university helping with the cost, “they are showing that they are in support of students and what they want to do.”

Todd Swanson, financial affairs director for GSB, agreed. He said it is appropriate for the students to help with the costs.

“After all, the statue is not university property, it is GSB’s statue,” he said.

The bronze statue was purchased by GSB for $22,000 in 1987 and unveiled during Veishea 1988. The statue is located between Carver and Beardshear halls. Earlier this month, senators voted to support a move.

Sen. Chris Juhl, design, feels the move would promote more awareness of Jack Trice. “Not many students know about Jack Trice. It would be great public relations for the football team and Iowa State University in general,” he said.

Sen. David Ammann said even though he agrees students should help fund the move of the statue, he doesn’t feel the money is coming out of the right place.

Ammann said the money will probably be coming out of the special projects fund, instead of the discretionary account which is used for miscellaneous expenses.

“The special projects fund is for capital improvements, investments that will in the future create some tangible good,” he said.

The university will hold a public forum about the issue of renaming Cyclone Stadium in honor of Jack Trice on Nov. 15 at 4 p.m. in Room 118 of the Horticulture Building. Any proposal will ultimately have to be approved by the state Board of Regents.