Cracking down on ID’s

Daphne Myers

Students without their 1996 fee cards and new, red ISUCards are being turned away from the Lied Recreation/Athletic Facility.

University policy now requires patrons of the recreation center to present their 1996 fee cards and new student IDs upon entering the facility.

“The first two weeks of school we were lenient. Now we are asking students who show up and don’t have the correct forms of identification to go home and get them — then we will let them in,” said Steve Van Der Kamp, assistant director for Recreation Services.

The new ISUCards are used almost everywhere on campus including the library, residence dining halls, and for many students they serve as bank cards.

“The university has decided that the new ISUCard will be the ID for students on campus. We are just following university policy,” Van Der Kamp said.

Senior political science major Joe Lundsgaard said, “As a rec center employee, we’re just trying to do our job. We’re students too, and even as employees we have to follow the same university policies.”

Athletes are also experiencing the crackdown on identification to use the rec center.

“Athletes are students also, thus they are required to show their new ISUCard and 1996 fee card, or their athletic issue card. However, if athletes are in between their regular practice time, 2-6 p.m., they are not required to show ID,” said Lori Nickla, graduate assistant for facility operations.

“Since the new ISUCard is the only ID recognized by the university, students can no longer show their driver’s license or any other form of identification,” Nickla said.

The rec center has posted signs since the beginning of the school year and gave a Sept. 3 deadline for having the correct identification before they began turning patrons away.