Student protests are futile

Robert Zeis

In the past year Iowa State students have been bombarded with the constant debate over the newly named Carrie Chapman Catt Hall.

This debate has evolved into a tired argument between the September 29th Movement and our university leaders.

The reason many are weary from this debate is that nothing will change.

This cause to change the name of the building is a noble one, though it is having no effect whatsoever.

President-For-Life Martin Jischke and his cronies simply do not care about the needs of the minority students (or any students for that matter).

There was simply no need to change the name of Botany Hall. Though the university may say they were honoring Catt, they were only attempting to be politically correct. There are few buildings on campus named after women, and a name change would give the school a better image of equality.

This crass and shallow attempt on their behalf has blown up in their face. Had they done their research, they would have known Catt made many racist remarks during her life, and that many would protest the decision to name the building after her.

Personally, “Carrie Chapman Catt Center for Women in Politics” is a little too wordy anyway.

I can’t say I blame the minorities on this campus for being upset. If I went to a predominantly black college I would be just as upset if they were renaming a building for Malcolm X.

Though he may have played a role in the civil rights struggles of the 1960s, he also made many racist remarks during his life.

Those who oppose the name of the building as it stands should end their opposition. They should use Catt Hall as a symbol of the university’s cavalier and insensitive attitude toward all its students, not just minorities.

Another example of this is Cyclone Stadium/Jack Trice Field. Though many wanted to name the stadium after a black football player who died playing for this university, President Eaton and the leaders at that time thought differently.

Instead of taking a progressive stance, they decided on another ridiculously long name for a seemingly simple structure.

Though these are different administrations, the monarchy that rules now belongs to the same line that ruled ten years ago.

Many may think that since the proposal to put a McDonald’s in the Hub was recently retracted, President Jischke will finally start listening to students and change the name of Catt Hall.

Don’t be so sure. The decision to keep the Hub as-is was purely a financial one.

They realized that the university won’t be making as much money if there are two McDonald’s on campus. At a school so enamored with the almighty dollar, there will be no name change at Catt Hall because there is no economic incentive to. Protests had little or nothing to do with the “McHub” settlement.

Unfortunately, the administration will use this as an example to show how much they “care” about students and their concerns.

This attitude by the university could explain why Iowa State was not included on a recent Money Magazine list of college best-buys in America. The University of Iowa, who does not have the same attitudes towards its students, was near the top of the list. It’s also possible that many high quality instructors may opt for schools other than Iowa State because they want to work for a school that actually cares about its students.

Is it a far-fetched idea to have a say about what goes on at the highest levels of the university? I don’t think so. After all, most of us pay $6000 or more per year to attend school here. Why don’t we get a chance to have a viable opinion on matters concerning us?

Our leaders say that we have GSB for these matters. However, GSB is nothing more than a budgeting committee. Any positions formed during those meetings have no effect on any controversial situations; they do not have to be followed by the university.

What are we going to do about this? Honestly, there’s not much we can do. President Jischke was recently given a contract that guarantees him a job until he retires. The Board of Regents are no help either; they care even less about us than those who manage our school.

Any protests we have now fall on deaf ears, and such protests are futile.

Robert Zeis is a senior in finance from Des Moines.