University residence halls to a get face lift

Amanda Knief

Major renovations to some university residence halls could come as quickly as next fall, said Director of Residence Randy Alexander.

“I would like to move pretty quickly,” Alexander said, “as soon as we can — probably in the fall between August and December.”

The speed of renovations depends on the master plan the department of residence is now formulating. The master plan is developed with the collaboration of personnel in every area in the residence halls and a hired consultant.

The renovations will include converting some of the halls and floors into suites and apartments, more computer labs, recreation space, study areas, and upgrading the wiring and plumbing.

“If they do convert one of the Towers into suites, I think the retention rates would be higher. The negative aspect would be the cost. I could see the cost going way up,” said Alex Bertolini, a senior in civil engineering and a resident assistant of Knapp Hall.

“I think the renovations are a good idea, it would be a little inconvenient for a while, but it would be better in the long run,” said Dan Collingwood, a sophomore in pre-medicine.

During renovations, entire buildings will be closed. During Alexander’s time as director of housing at the University of Wisconsin – Stephen’s Point, the department of housing renovated nine buildings in five years.

Alexander does not plan for renovations to go as quickly at Iowa State. He hopes that the renovations could be done at the rate of 1,000 beds per year, possibly making the total renovation time about eight years.

The amount of time the renovations take is also dependent on how fast renovations can be paid for.

“No current staff will be affected and new positions are being offered as temporary jobs,” Alexander said. The master plan will allow the department of residence to prepare in advance to move employees to other facilities.

However, during the renovations fewer beds will be available. To make up for the shortage the first step will be to eliminate most of the 1,000 double-as-single rooms. Some rooms were also originally built for three people, so at a discounted rate, students could have the option of two roommates.

“We may not be able to house every student that wants to be housed. If that’s the case, then probably our first priority is to make sure we provide enough housing for all the freshmen that want it,” Alexander said.

That’s a notion that has some students worried.

“If I was a senior and I wanted to stay in the residence halls and I was told I couldn’t because I was a senior, I wouldn’t be happy,” said Alishia Sly, a junior in child and family services.

Alexander added that studies have shown living in the residence halls has a positive effect on first-year students academically. He said studies also show it makes no difference where upperclassmen live.

Specifically, a new building near Buchanan Hall may be a possibility.

“If the decision is made to do the new construction, I would suspect that it would be sooner rather than later so that you could be using it while closing other buildings,” Alexander said.

The dining areas will also see renovations and changes in service.

“My approach to students with food service when they say they want something … is always yes, because they’re paying for it.”