AIDS Coalition holding seminar to train those wishing to volunteer

Abby Zirkle

Everyone needs a friend. That’s why the AIDS Coalition of Story County is holding a training seminar for anyone interested in volunteering this weekend.

Pam Carnine, director of the program, said they love to have Iowa State students volunteer because the campus is very receptive to AIDS awareness.

Volunteering is a job anybody can do, but Carnine said, “We appreciate students who want to make a difference in somebody’s life, not the ones who do it to tell their friends they work with people who have AIDS.”

To be a volunteer for the program students must attend the training classes tonight, Saturday and Sunday.

Once volunteers have gone through the classes, they are ready for the Buddy Program. The program assigns the volunteer a client or “buddy.” For example, if the client needs someone to walk their dog or go grocery shopping for them, most likely it would be the volunteer.

The main task for the volunteer is to be a friend. They are there just in case the client needs them.

“I think the program is a great idea for college students who want to help others because it teaches them all about AIDS awareness,” Sarah Slack, a freshmen at Iowa State, said.

Carrie Mulhull, senior at ISU majoring in community health education, is a volunteer doing an internship at the Coalition. One of the the reasons she chose the Coalition was because she has always had a strong interest in the field.

Mulhull is now the assistant coordinator for the WEDGE program. WEDGE is a four day program designed to increase AIDS awareness in junior high schools and high schools. She enjoys the program because the laid back atmosphere is getting her ready for the classroom setting.

The toughest part about Mulhull’s job she said, “is knowing how to deal with an HIV positive client that calls.”

The Coalition offers many different types of services. The care team is by far the most popular. The volunteers provide transportation to doctor’s appointments, take the clients to lunch and general companionship.

They also provide support groups for loved ones of the clients and siblings. Emergency assistance is another one of the Coalition’s programs.

“Before Title 19 and welfare kick in, we are there for the client doing as much as possible to help them out,” Carnine said.

The training classes are tonight 7 to 10 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sunday 12 to 4 p.m. Friday night is scheduled to provide general information about AIDS and the Coalition. Saturday and Sunday deal with universal precautions and safety issues.

There will also be a panel of HIV positive clients to talk one on one with anyone interested.

The training classes will be in Room 246 of the Memorial Union.

“Unless people are aware of the programs, the cannot get help,” Carnine said.