Freshmen attempting to comprehend computers in many composition classes

Daphne Myers

Intimidation and apprehension are lurking around the computer labs of first year student composition classes.

Many freshman enrolled in first-year student composition classes wonder why teachers put so much emphasis on getting their students actively involved in web sites and e-mail accounts instead of teaching how to write.

“First experiences with the computer labs are like going away to college — it’s a transition, intimidating and moderately terrifying at the same time,” said Jim Noland, the English department’s coordinator of computer writing lab orientation and training.

Noland said that how the class will be taught depends on the professor’s familiarity with computers. Some professors use computers more than others in their curriculum.

“There are lots of ways to teach,” he said.

Freshman Amy Smisek, an elementary education major, said she feels scared to death when it comes to looking for information on the Internet. “Everything is posted on the web, from class assignments to test scores. It’s kind of a pain, especially when you don’t always have easy access to a computer.”

With technology growing so fast, Smisek said it would be helpful to have a class for Internet orientation, especially at a university that is so technologically advanced.

Smisek was first introduced to e-mail accounts when her family decided to go online in order to keep in touch with older siblings who were away at college. “It is cheaper to e-mail each other than it is to call and quicker than the postal service,” Smisek said.

E-mail is a skill she’s glad she picked up before beginning classes.

“Not only was a disk for the computer attached to my biology book when I bought it, but all of my teachers have put their e-mail accounts number one to the phone,” Smisek said.

Noland said he understands the tensions and intimidation the students feel at first, but added that “it does become more personal. It’s human technology once you learn the steps.”

And university officials say students can’t escape the fact that computers are here to stay.

“What students may not realize is that they are, in fact, communicating and learning to write. It’s just in a different format,” Noland said.

Scott Behrens, a freshman in pre-engineering agreed. “It will always be helpful to have good computer skills,” he said. Behrens also uses the Internet to find assignments for some of his classes, but with the aid of step-by-step instructions provided by his professors.

With enough curiosity to learn and a lot of practice, Noland said he assures all students that computers can be a “fast and fun way to gain information.”