Commuter students rise in Union

Teresa Halvorsen

Students started off their mornings with a Danish and some useful information Wednesday as the Office of Adult Learner and Commuter Student Programs kicked off the first of its weekly Rise and Shine programs.

“Rise and Shine provides an opportunity for commuters and adult learners to find out about campus resources,” said Stephanie Chervinko, program assistant for the office. “Students don’t have to plan for it. They just know it is going to happen every Wednesday morning.”

Rise and Shine takes place in the Pine Room of the Memorial Union and runs from 8:30 – 10:30 a.m. each Wednesday during the fall and spring semesters. Different offices and organizations on campus host informal programs on services that apply to adult and commuter students, Chervinko said.

Some of the offices that are scheduled to appear include Career Services, the Student Union Board and the Financial Aid office.

“Hosts usually sit down at the tables with the students and mingle with them informally,” Chervinko said.

The programs are useful to adult and commuter students because these students often are not regularly exposed to various campus services and information.

“Typically students who live in the residence halls may have more access to services because they are on campus all the time,” Chervinko said. “Then when they need the resources, they don’t know where to go.”

Connie Godwin, a non-traditional student and psychology major, enjoys Rise and Shine for the information it provides. “It’s nice that there is a different group each week because when you are a non-traditional student it is difficult to find out about the services provided to students,” she said.

Commuter Brian Allen, a political science major, felt the same way about the program. “I started out living at the dorms. When you’re on-campus you know what is going on, but when you aren’t, it is hard to know what is going on,” he said.

Rise and Shine also offers students a fun chance to socialize with other adult and commuter students, said Chervinko. Allen attended some of last year’s programs and decided to return again this year to meet with other commuting students. “I enjoy seeing people who kind of go through the same things that I do,” he said.

Chervinko said there are still openings for offices or organizations to host a Rise and Shine program in the spring semester.

Those interested in hosting should contact the Office of Adult Learner and Commuter Student Programs.