Food Court ready for unveiling

Teresa Halvorsen

After months of unexpected construction delays, the Memorial Union Food Court will kick off its first year with a grand opening celebration today.

The activities will kick off with a short program and ribbon cutting ceremony at 11 a.m. Festivities for the event will last until 5 p.m.

Kathy Svec, Memorial Union marketing director, said, “Right at 11 we are going to have a short, emphasis on short, program.”

She said the program will recognize the president of the Memorial Union Board, Barbara Mack. ISU President Martin Jischke will also give a speech.

The cutting of the ribbon, she said, most likely will be performed by Jischke, Mack and Mary Jo Mertens, the managing director of the MU.

It’s not just the Food Court celebrating in the Union today. Student Legal Services and the Student Activities Center are throwing their own open houses to encourage students to visit their new offices in the basement.

KCCQ-FM is scheduled to perform a live radio broadcast from the Food Court. The station will also give away various prizes donated by the new restaurants.

Svec added, “A little jazz band from the music department will also be there.”

Students are in for a special treat with special guest appearances by the Freshen’s Yogurt Cup, the Panda Express Bear and Subway’s Subman. The three mascots will hand out free food samples from their respective restaurants.

“Everyone who is a customer around the noon-hour will have an opportunity to pick up a grand opening ticket from the cashiers,” Svec said.

The recreation area will hand out discounts for customers at the Food Court, said Manager Doug Swanson.

“People who bring one of the grand opening tickets given by restaurants can come down to our area and get a free quarter for the pinball area,” he said.