Missing vending machines to be replaced soon

Daily Staff Writer

For students who have the munchies and cannot find a vending machine to satisfy their hunger, help may soon be on the way.

Within the next two to three weeks, new vending machines should be installed, tested and filled on campus, said Kathy Svec, marketing director of the Memorial Union. However, the contract with the university does not begin until July 26.

The Iowa State Memorial Union Corporation, a private non-profit organization, received the bid for the vending machine contract over four other companies, Svec said.

Svec also said the old favorites will still be offered in the machines, but a new variety will be available. Machines will display a phone number and e-mail address that vending customers can use to suggest different products. Some products, such as sandwiches, lasagna, pizza and casserole, will be made directly by the MU kitchens, Svec said. “Those who rely on the machines…will definitely be seeing weekly changes,” she said.

For students and staff who shy away from vendo-land because of high calories and fat, the university has required that the new machines offer healthier choices, Svec said.

“The machines will be new,” Svec said, and a certain number will have cash stripes for the new ISUCard. Students can put money on their accounts to purchase items at the vending areas, where the machines will work like the copy card machines at the library. Students will not have to worry about carrying pocket change, Svec said.