The channels of student participation

Jamey Hansen

Even though the university is holding the final decision on McDonald’s, the fight to be heard isn’t over — no matter which side you’re on.

Forums and protests have been effective, but an official opinion of the student body is necessary.

So, I think a little lesson in student government procedures is in order.

The Senate

Concerned students (from either the anti-McDonald’s-in-the-Hub side or the pro-McDonald’s-in-the-Hub side) have many options for making a statement to the university administration and the Board of Regents.

First, there is the GSB Senate. Each of us has at least two students who represent us on the senate — many students have more than two representatives as some colleges and residence areas have more than one senator.

You can contact your senator and ask them to propose a resolution in favor of your opinion. Or, if there is already a resolution written, you may ask your senator to vote a certain way.

Senators are under no obligation to follow your advice, but many will take your opinion into consideration when they act.

The effect of a GSB resolution is simply the voicing of student opinion. All a resolution can say is that the GSB Senate, on behalf of the student body, holds the opinion stated in the resolution.

Most resolutions are sent on to the university administration and the Board of Regents.

All senate bills and resolutions are subject to a (GSB) presidential veto.

The President

This leads to another option: the GSB President.

Though Adam Gold’s personal opinion is already known, any student can inform him of his or her view on the matter. But, just like the senate, the president makes up his own mind.

His power comes from being our official student body representative and his veto power over senate legislation.

Referenda

If you are uncomfortable with the idea of representation, there is the direct route.

The GSB Constitution outlines the procedures for referenda: a vote by the population at large. We, as students, can supercede our elected officials and hold an election to determine our opinion as a whole.

Although we would be by-passing the senate and the rest of our government, there are a few rules and procedures that must be followed.

Referenda procedures:

A referendum can be started in one of two ways: First, by petition.

Petitions must be signed by 5 percent of the students of two-thirds of the recognized constituent areas. Sound confusing?

In other words, at least 5 percent of the students in at least 14 of the 21 constituent areas (nine colleges, eight residence areas and four special seats) must sign the petition.

To add the confusion, the rules also state that a student can only sign a petition for one constituent area. So even though I am a member of a college and a residence area, I can only sign as a member of one or the other. This in effect doubles the number of signatures required.

The second option allows the GSB Senate to order a referendum by a simple majority vote.

But if that does not occur, here are the rules for conducting a petition:

* The question (the opinion or statement) must be filed with the GSB elections commission at least 14 days prior to its circulation.

* The commission has then seven school days to properly format the question for the petition and return it to the petitioners.

* Then it can be circulated for signatures for two weeks.

* The petition is returned to the elections commission for counting and verification.

* If the petition has enough valid signatures, the elections commission presents the petition to the senate. The senate must either enact the petition (without amendment) or reject it within seven days. If it is accepted, it stops there.

* If it is rejected by the senate, the elections commission sets up an election so the student body can vote on it. This election must occur within ten days of the senate decision.

* A majority of the students voting in the election is required for the referendum to pass.

Conducting a referendum is a complicated matter, but there are many benefits.

First, it is free from senate action and presidential veto. And second, it holds more weight than any GSB resolution.

Imagine the opinion of a couple thousand students compared to the vote of forty students. (Yes, I believe more students would vote for a referendum than a general election.)

Be heard

Again, no matter what side of the issue you are on, it is important to let your voice be heard. Like it or not, GSB is our official voice.

This fall, when university administrators and the Board of Regents look to GSB for student opinion on the proposed McDonald’s, hopefully they will see a vote by thousands of concerned students, or at least an informed and heavily supported GSB resolution.

Jamey Hansen is a senior in elementary education from NAS Sigonella, Sicily. He is the editor in chief of the Iowa State Daily.