Campus art undergoes renovations

Sonja Rice

All great works of art must be restored eventually if they are to retain their beauty. The art on the Iowa State campus is no exception. With this in mind, ISU and the University Museums are working together to restore 16 of the 200 pieces of campus art.

“This is the first comprehensive conservation program,” said Lynette Pohlman, director of University Museums.

Many of the works undergoing repair were done by Christian Petersen, who worked for Iowa State from 1934 until 1955.

“He didn’t do all the art, but did many of the major pieces of importance on campus,” Farm House Curator Mary Atherly said. Petersen was the first sculptor in residence at a university. Some of his works include the Fountain of Four Seasons in front of the Memorial Union and Three Athletes at State Gym.

These works are now in need of repair and restoration. “The biggest element is Iowa’s weather and change of seasons,” Pohlman said.

In the 1970s a protective coating was put on many of the structures. Unfortunately, the coating caused more problems by trapping water and salt inside the works of art. The goal of the new restoration program is to determine the original structure of the artwork and to conserve its natural beauty.

“Six or seven years ago a committee was formed to inspect works with the University Museum,” Atherly said. This committee determines the significance of the artwork to the university and the cost of restoration. The committee then decides which pieces should be restored. “It’s an on-going process,” she said.

Much of the restoration is being done by Linda Merk-Gould. One of her first projects at Iowa State was to restore the Dairy Industry Murals. She also worked to stabilize the condition of the Left-Sided Angel at Parks Library.

Work is currently being done to restore the Fountain of Four Seasons in front of the Memorial Union. The statues are now in Connecticut where Merk-Gould is working to repair them.

“It will be about a year before they return,” Atherly said. While they are away, the fountain is receiving new plumbing.

Another project is the Vet-Med Murals. These murals consist of 44 panels. One of the panels has been removed and sent to Connecticut to determine its ailments. “We are trying to raise money to take the rest of them out there,” Atherly said.

The committee has set a $1 million fundraising goal in order to send the rest of the Vet-Med Murals to Connecticut. This will include a $250,000 endowment fund for future restoration projects.

Ongoing annual maintenance is also part of the program. “Finding out how to maintain them after they’ve been restored is a big part of it,” Atherly said. Even lawn maintenance takes its toll on the sculptures.