Lightfoot and Harkin vie for Senate seat

Mike Milligan

November’s U.S. Senate race is a showdown between incumbent Democrat Tom Harkin and Republican U.S. Rep. Jim Ross Lightfoot. The candidates offer strikingly different views on some key issues, including those of concern to student voters.

Lightfoot, from Shenandoah, Iowa, describes himself as the only candidate with, “real world experience.” Lightfoot has worked on an assembly line and has been a military infantryman, a policeman, a small business owner and a farm broadcaster.

A hot issue on the campaign trail, and one that will directly affect ISU students, concerns student loans and financial aid. Lightfoot said the Balanced Budget Act of 1995 ensures access to higher education for all students. His numbers state that more loans will be available in 1996 — 7.1 million compared to 6.6 million in 1995.

Lightfoot and the rest of the Republican party plan to cap the direct lending program. According to Lightfoot’s campaign literature, “The cap will halt the Administration’s government takeover of private student lending; allow competition in the student lending industry; and protect the availability of student loans to every American student that needs them.”

One of Lightfoot’s priorities, he said, is to cut taxes. “I believe that the families of Iowa know how to spend their money better than the government does.”

Lightfoot helped pass a $500-per-child middle class tax cut, and according to his staff is continually working to reduce income and capital gains taxes. “I’ve never voted for a tax increase and I never will. I think it’s the wrong thing to do,” he said.

Another issue that is always controversial is abortion. Congressman Lightfoot is pro-life and only supports an abortion when the life, not health, of a mother is at stake.

Lightfoot called his campaign, “A common sense agenda for America with common sense Iowa values.” One of Lightfoot’s campaign mottos is, “Together we can change Washington.”

Incumbent Sen. Harkin has already served two terms in the Senate office. Harkin is from Cumming, Iowa, and served in the Navy as a fighter pilot before becoming involved in politics. Harkin said he wants to represent Iowa for a third term in Washington because, “I want us to expand opportunity; I want us to demand more personal responsibility; and I want us to strengthen our communities because I want us to move Iowa and America forward to the future and not turn back the clock to the past.”

Harkin’s legislation calls for a maximum $10,000 per year tax deduction for the cost of college and vocational education for middle-income families. This legislation would also include people already in the work force looking to develop more job skills. Middle-income families would include families with a combined income of $80,000 or less. Harkin said, “This education tax deduction will cut taxes on hard-working families trying to get ahead, raise incomes, and prepare Americans for the 21st century.

Harkin and Sen. Arlen Specter (R-PA) passed a bipartisan amendment to the 1997 budget that reversed a proposed $2 billion cut to education and health. “It is outrageous to put education funding for schools in Iowa and across the country on the chopping block when Congress is giving the Pentagon billions more than they ever requested,” Harkin said. The Pentagon is slated to receive $11 billion more than it asked for in its budget proposal.

One of Harkin’s proudest accomplishments while in the Senate is his sponsorship of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Harkin said, “It broke down the barriers and said to people with disabilities, ‘If you exert the energy, responsibility, and the effort, you too can climb the ladder of success.'”

Harkin said he wants to carry this support on to seniors. Harkin said he wants to make it clear that Medicare won’t be strengthened by cutting benefits. “We ought to cut the waste, not the benefits.”

Harkin differs from Lightfoot in his views regarding abortion. Unlike Lightfoot, Harkin supports pro-choice legislation.

Harkin says his campaign is about, “looking ahead and entering the new century with hope, with confidence and optimism for the future. Our campaign is about making this a new era of opportunity for all; responsibility from all; progress by all; in communities that include all.”

This race has been described as a “classic” race between two strong politicians. Only one person can fill the position, and your vote can make the difference.