Who is the Iowa State Daily?

Jamey Hansen

The Ames Daily Tribune’s new Campus Reader claims to be the “Independent Voice of Iowa State Students.”

Doesn’t this phrase better describe the Iowa State Daily?

Though the Reader is independent from ISU, it is not edited by students and the majority of the articles aren’t written by students, either.

The Daily is also financially and editorially independent of ISU but it is a student newspaper.

Student Written?

But what does it mean to be a “student newspaper”? Are we student written?

Absolutely yes. All editorial copy is written and edited by students. Every reporter, photographer and editor must be a student of Iowa State University.

A newspaper being entirely written by students can cause some problems. In general, we do pretty well, but occasionally, we make some mistakes.

This potential for making mistakes has prompted some to try to add professionals to the editorial department.

In the summer of 1993, the Daily’s strategic planning committee formulated a plan to change the editorial adviser from the passive role of consultant to a more active role of supervisor.

After a barrage of letters from both current and former Daily editors, professional journalists and faculty members, the motion failed.

Student Managed?

Recently, the Ames Daily Tribune has charged that the Daily is managed by professionals.

As a “student newspaper” are we not student managed? Well, yes and no.

Editorially, we are completely managed by students. The business side of the Daily, however, is managed by a professional general manager.

The general manager oversees the other six non-student members of the support staff as well as many student employees.

All of our advertising sales representatives are students (including, three student assistant managers) and our production assistants are also students. But ultimately, we are governed by the Iowa State Daily Publication Board.

This board is comprised of 18 student members (two from each college), three faculty members and a member of the newspaper industry.

Also on the board are three ex officio, non-voting members: the editor in chief, the general manager and the editorial adviser. The officers of the board are all students.

The Publication Board oversees and makes final approval of all business transactions of the Daily.

Since the board only meets once a month, the general manager handles all day-to-day business. The board’s control over the newsroom is historically limited to hiring — and firing — the editor in chief.

Student Audience?

Does “student newspaper” mean “written for students”?

Not necessarily. Though our primary audience is the student body, both our bylaws and our practice calls for service to the entire campus community.

The Daily has also been a source of information to members of the greater Ames community and beyond.

Our defined audience is currently in flux. Over the past few years the Daily has begun distributing off campus but we have now returned to only on-campus locations.

In addition, we also publish on the World Wide Web where people from all parts of the world read the Daily.

Is it the natural progression for our paper to continue expanding its coverage and distribution or should we limit ourselves to the ISU campus?

Which is better for the Daily and its future? Which policy better furthers the educational mission of the Daily?

Views of the Daily

The Daily has grown considerably over the past few years. Financially, the Daily is stronger than ever.

The number of pages per issue has increased and the overall appearance of the paper has improved tremendously.

Increased funds have given us the opportunity to invest in better computer equipment, digital photography, and even an on-line edition.

Could we have done this without our professional staff members? Probably not.

Some say that hiring non-student staff members has corrupted the structure of the Daily.

There is a cost for hiring professional staff members. We are no longer a “pure student newspaper” (actually, I am not sure if we ever were).

Others applaud the performance of our professional staff and attribute all of our improvements to them. They say the Daily’s educational mission can be better served by the advancements we have made and the leadership they provide.

I am somewhere in the middle.

The Daily’s Future

If the Daily chooses to expand there is the tendency to employ more professional employees.

For instance, when the Daily started up its version of the University Times, it relied on a professional editor to oversee it.

This is the danger of expansion.

If the Daily chooses to continue expansion, and can do it without adding any professional staff members, then I say go for it.

But if the cost of expanding is adding more non-students, then we should just stay where we are.

As an Iowa State student, you can be a part of the decisions. The Publication Board is comprised of two students from each college.

You could be on the Pub Board; you could be my boss.

Jamey Hansen is a senior in elementary education from Sicily. He is the editor in chief of the Daily.