Library offers ‘Voyage Around the World’ program for area children

Karen Cho

Ames children were offered a trip around the world yesterday and they did not even have to leave the local public library to experience it.

“Voyage Around the World,” an educational program at the Ames Public Library, was held Monday afternoon and provided local children the opportunity to learn about different cultures and countries.

The main goal of the event is to help children learn about a variety of countries through participation in activities, games, displays, music and crafts that are taught by international students.

When the children arrived at the library, they were offered a number of activities, including doll-making, folding papers, dancing and playing Yut.

Korean students taught children how to play “Yut,” a stick game usually played by children on New Year’s Day in Korea

“Even though children are not familiar with the game, they seem to enjoy it,” Jongin Seo, IEOP student from Korea, said. “This activity is a kind of cultural exchange.”

IEOP students, who are learning English at ISU, taught the young participants crafts, games and how to write in other languages.

Kouske Horii, IEOP student from Japan, said, “I’m supposed to teach how to make an origami, a paper folding, to the children. It’s fun for kids.”

The students from Thailand showed traditional dances such as Leb Meau Nang, which means “woman with a gold finger.” In this dance the women wear gold fingertips to accentuate the delicateness of a woman.

The international students also helped children dress up in hats, tunics and clothing from the different countries.

There was a large cluster of children gathered around a table that had materials needed to make dolls.

N’della N’jie, former cultural assistant of the Ames-ISU YWCA , said “We use low-cost materials such as empty toilet paper rolls, pipe cleaners, cloths and things like that to make a doll. It attracts most of [the] girls.”

“My daughter, Emma, loves to make a doll,” said Jane Kennedy, Ames resident.

Ames-ISU YWCA Executive Director Judy Dolphin said this is a great opportunity for international students to find out more about Americans by teaching and talking with children. She said the program also helps Americans can learn more about the world.

The most highlighted feature of this event was a dance. Jorge Hernandez, IEOP student from Venezuela, taught the children “Merengue,” a South American dance.

“It’s absolutely a good opportunity for the Ames family to better understand cultures of other countries,” said Carol Elbert, youth service coordinator at the Ames Public Library. “This is the second time to participate in the event. It’s wonderful and fun.”

“It’s not a show, not a program, it’s an international play time. It’s truly fun for everybody,” Dolphin said.

The weather was warm and welcoming for Ames families all Monday afternoon, providing a great opportunity for traveling around the world.

The free event was organized by the Ames- ISU YWCA, the Ames Public Library and the Orientation and Intensive English Program (IEOP) at Iowa State University. The event has been held in June every summer since 1992.