Author and poet Kabagarama to read

Julie Kline

When most students have left for the summer, those who remain in Ames will have the chance of hearing a woman with a variety of interests and experiences read from some of her poetry.

On May 17 at 7:30 p.m., Big Table Books will host a reading and discussion by author and poet Daisy Kabagarama. The evening will include selections from two of her books of poetry, Drumbeat: Poetry for Crossing Cultures and Grandmother’s Song: A Touch of Home. The event will also include a discussion of the cultures of both the United States and her native Uganda, said Big Table books publicist Cheryl McGough.

A good portion of Kabagarama’s writing is influenced by her background. As a member of the Toro tribe in Western Uganda, Kabagarama is also known by the praise name “Akiki.”

It was in this environment that her writing began with stories of the world that she lived in. The African influence is also impacted by the fact that she received a bachelor’s degree from the Makerere University in Kenya. One of the strongest influences from childhood is her grandmother, who inspires much of her work, said Charlotte Bruner, professor emeritus in the foreign language department of Iowa State.

Kabagarama has also been somewhat influenced by the American culture, where she has spent a large portion of her adult life living and working. She originally came to the United States in 1982 to further her education here at Iowa State.

Since leaving ISU, Kabagarama has spent her career educating college students in Kansas. Soon after leaving, she began teaching at McPherson College and is currently an assistant professor of minority studies at Wichita State University.

Given her experiences, it is not a surprise that Kabagarama writes in a wide variety of styles, including short stories and scientific papers. So far she has published Breaking the Ice: A Guide to Understanding People from Other Cultures and a chapter called “The Rich Heritage” in Bruner’s book, Heinemann Book of African Women Writing.

Even though she has written in a wide variety of styles, the message of understanding and accepting all cultures remains universal.

“She has a deep understanding of both her own culture and the American culture,” Bruner said. “She tries to show some of the similarities between the societies rather than their differences and cross beyond the cultural boundaries.”

The event, which will also sell autographed copies of the author’s work, is free and open to the public. Big Table Books is located at 330 Main St., in downtown Ames.