Women awarded for contributions

Rory J. Flaherty

Daily Staff Writer

Three women were recently awarded the 1996 Carrie Chapman Catt Sex Equity Awards for their contributions in promoting equity for women.

The award, given by the Iowa State Women’s Center Advisory Board, recognizes those women who promote issues of equality and understanding of women’s issues in the ISU/Ames community.

The women recognized are Elizabeth Beck, ISU Honors Program coordinator; Linda Galyon, associate professor of English; and Margaret Torrie, associate professor of the family and consumer sciences education and studies.

Each received a plaque and $100 to honor their contributions at the “Women in Touch” luncheon and seminar April 15.

All three women agreed the award was a great honor.

“It’s been very important to me over the last 25 years of my life,” said Elizabeth Beck. “I am honored to be recognized.”

Beck said equality for all groups is very important to her. Beck has been a member of the University Committee on Women, served as one of the founding members of the Committee for Women in Science and Engineering, and co-founded the All-Women’s Deli Potluck. She currently serves as a volunteer at ACCESS, a battered women’s shelter, and also is a member of the University Child Care Committee.

“I am deeply honored and a little bit touched,” said Linda Galyon. “Whatever I have been able to do has been the result of being a member of a community working for gender equality.”

Galyon said that without the community, nothing would be possible.

Galyon is a member of the University Committee on Women, the Women’s Studies Program Steering Committee and the ISU Faculty Senate committees.

“I am very proud to have received the award,” said Margaret Torrie, “I think the most important aspect of the award is its initiation by the students, and that reflects their understanding of my efforts to forward a more equitable environment for all students.”

“It’s an area that has received important attention in the past couple years but there is still a lot of work to be done,” Torrie said. “The award is an expression of people who recognize us for our accomplishments.”

Torrie serves as the leader of Girl Scout Troop 769, and is a member of the ISU Diversity Steering Committee, Ames Gifted and Talented Advisory Committee and the Ames School District Human Development Advisory Committee.