Bioethics symposium held on April 17

Becky Wachs

All vegetarians and meat-eaters interested in the ethical side of eating meat can come together to discuss the issue this month.

The second annual Iowa State Bioethics Symposium will be held on April 17 in the Molecular Biology auditorium. From 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., participants will discuss whether it is all right to raise animals for food, and will raise other ethical questions involving livestock production.

Clark Ford, an associate professor of food science and human nutrition and one of the meeting’s organizers, said, “The symposium is not about telling people what to believe, but to have them think about what they believe.”

“Ethics and Animals in Agriculture” is designed for ISU faculty and students, college and secondary educators, legislators, professionals and all interested citizens. It is sponsored by the ISU Bioethics Program and 17 other ISU departments and programs.

Two philosophy professors from Davison College, N.C., and Lafayette College, Pa., will lead discussions for and against raising animals for food. Other speakers include Connie Greig, chair of the National Cattleman’s Association’s Cattle Health and Well-being Committee, Paul Sundberg, veterinarian from the National Pork Producers Council, and Phil Dziuk, professor of animal science at the University of Illinois. Small workshops discussing the ethical issues will also be held.

There is no registration fee, but people are asked to preregister by April 25. A $5 lunch fee is optional. For more information or to register by phone, call Clark Ford at 294-0343.