Student wins national fellowship

Jenny Hykes

If the distinction of having the highest grade point average in the engineering college, chemical engineering department and the classical studies department wasn’t enough for this graduating senior, Heather Schaforth received greater honor Tuesday. Schafroth was awarded a National Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship valued at $7,000 and a $1,500 scholarship from the Iowa State chapter of Phi Kappa Phi, a national honor society.

Schafroth said it was a “tremendous honor” to receive the fellowship. Fifty national awards are given annually. The 274 chapters at universities across the country are each eligible to to submit one candidate in the national competition.

Schafroth plans to continue studying chemical engineering as a graduate student at either Princeton or Berkeley. Although she completed two majors with more than 200 credits in five years, she said she’s not tired out. “I’m ready to go. I’m going to take the summer off, though,” she said. Schafroth’s classical studies adviser, James Ruebel, said she is “certainly an outstanding student.” There are not many students who study both advanced engineering and Greek and Latin.

Schafroth is also a member of Phi Beta Kappa honor society and a recipient of the Edward Allen award for most outstanding new member of the society.