Professor retires after 35 years

Kathy Anthofer

After contributing 35 “super” years of service to Iowa State, Stephen J. Marley, a professor of agricultural biosystems and engineering, looks forward to retirement next month.

Marley said he has seen changes in education during his time at ISU, including more modernized teaching methods.

“The computer technology factor has definitely made an important impact in the program,” Marley said. “VCRs and video materials are used instead of 16- millimeter film.”

Though Marley said he doesn’t think students have changed much over the years, they may be a little more dedicated.

“The myth of students not working as hard as they did 25 to 30 years ago is simply not true,” he said.

To help his students with troublesome questions, Marley tries to be available outside of class as much as possible. Helping them answer questions in a one-on-one situation is more convenient for students, Marley said.

One of Marley’s memorable experiences during his time at Iowa State was when his daughter was the GSB President.

“She was better known than I was, but I was perfectly happy with it that way,” Marley said. “She kept things exciting.”

Marley also recalled the two Fullbright Fellowships he served in Ireland. He made his first trip in the 1970-71 school year, when he was invited as a lecturer in Dublin. For the second fellowship, in the 1981-82 school year, Marley was invited to Carlow, Ireland to do research on crop tillage production under Irish conditions.

Marley said of his contributions to Iowa State: “I don’t think I’m outstanding. I think I’m a genuine faculty member who tries to do a good job.”

He said others do not see him “as a star.”

“I’ve got the best job in the world for the last 35 years,” Marley said. He has expressed this to ISU faculty. “The people here are super!” he said.

During retirement, Marley and his wife Audrey plan to spend time with their children and grandchildren. “We plan to see a lot more of them,” Marley said.

During his 35 years at ISU, Marley has had a “satisfying relationship with students and faculty.”

He hopes he can maintain relationships with some of his students during retirement.

“I want to be remembered as a person who tried to help students learn and fulfill their goals,” Marley said.